Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro keeps disconnecting from Wifi due to my USB C hub!

Hello,

I have 2017 13 inch (non touch bar) MacBook Pro with two thunderbolt 3 ports which because of my USB C Hub (which i bought from amazon), causes my MacBook's wifi to randomly turn off. But whenever i disconnect the dongle, the wifi comes back on. this is happening on my bootcamp and macOS partitions by the way. I searched around the internet for a while for a fix and i eventually found a youtube tutorial which tells me to wrap tin foil around the cable on the dongle? However this didn't work for me (of course), so can anyone help me find a fix or at least let me know if this is happening to you thank you.

The dongle i bought of amazon.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 2 TBT3), macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies

Dec 21, 2018 8:06 AM in response to ThePowerPCGuy

Have you found a solution to this problem?

I have the same issue. Bought a third party hub from amazon, which seemed to work for everyone else. But whenever I connect it into my MBP 2018, my wifi connection is gone.

Already talked with the Apple Care hotline and that was no help at all. Googled and found out that this has been a major issue on the 2016/17 MBP.

Dec 21, 2018 8:50 AM in response to ThePowerPCGuy

Interference with USB and both BlueTooth and WiFi are well known. Moving the USB hub further away from the computer an extended USB cable is one possibility - make sure the extension cable is a shielded cable. Using the 5.4 ghz band of your router is another possible solution. Or you may have to find a different hub.

My MacBook Pro keeps disconnecting from Wifi due to my USB C hub!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.