Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ibook G4 worth fixing?

I have an ibook g4 that needs a new hard drive and logic board. I was wondering if it would be worth it to fix it and use it as a daily school machine. I have a powerful pc at home and another working laptop, but i am afraid the battery life will not suffice. When it was working i was averaging 6 hours of battery life and some good performance (well for an ibook g4 anyways). I have parts to fully upgrade and use it as well.​

My school needs are just some simple web browsing, office suite (i like LibreOffice), and thats about it. I will probably do some emulation (this thing was GREAT for snes/nes/n64 emulation.).

OBS iBook G4 (Early 2004), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 8:35 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 29, 2018 3:37 AM in response to TraytonCN

There likely is only one web browser for PPC G3/G4/G5 Macs, in TenFourFox.

And different builds are offered for these main categories of processor in PPC.

TenFourFox: Fork of Mozilla FireFox for PowerPC Mac ~ OS X Tiger & Leopard:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

So that's something to consider and see if that helps. ~ Note that this is slow.

Modern code takes awhile, and slowness may be due to specific circumstance

in the computer configuration. You may adapt the Mac to better run this browser.

If the hard drive has adequate free or unused storage capacity to use as Virtual

Memory (and if physical chip RAM is maxed-out) you could get by. Older Macs

that have faster rotational hard disk drive (7200-RPM) -or may use SSD- could

be able to work around demands online impose on these older model Macs.

The stock 4500-RPM (stock) drive with 50% full, will limit 'temp file swap' speed.

5400-RPM rotation speed hard drive is marginally faster; plus adequate chip RAM

to run applications without loading the virtual memory into the hard drive, helps.

Reasons for slowness in addition to how the mac connects to internet vary. Often

the hardware configuration (RAM, HDD unused/used capacity; bus speed, size of

files moved about, etc) could slow the Mac. However G5 tower or mult- core CPU

could run a bit better. The portable iBook and PowerBook G4 have more limits.

There are a few other workarounds, if you have older applications for offline use

that you need; primary reasons to run vintage/obsolete hardware.

My best TenFourFox is unsupported 'first edition' MacBook 13-inch 1.83GHz coreduo.

With Leopard 10.5.8, 160GB HDD (7200-RPM) 2GB RAM, and less than half full drive.

In this instance, a certain startup process is required to try & see if 'TenFourFox-G3'

build would work out. ~ Of four older macs that can use TenFourFox that I have, the

MacBook1.1 (with Leopard 10.5.8) is very fast. The PPC code is handled OK due to

ability of Rosetta, (included w/ older OS X) for PPC coded apps, to run w/ Intel CPU.

You may consider acquiring an early MacBook if you have older Mac applications to run

that could do so under Leopard 10.5.8 or Snow Leopard 10.6.8; early ones are inexpensive

and work fairly well. I've got a nice condition as-new Mid 2005 iBook G4 12-in 1.33GHz

does better with Tiger 10.4.11; bought it in 2005. Didn't like Leopard. Does OK w Ten4Fox.

User uploaded file

Ibook G4 worth fixing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.