Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't record on GarageBand

I have a MacAir, MojaveOS, 10.14.1, about 3-4 years old.

I don't use GB that often, and mainly only for basic recording. However, having said that, I've probably recorded on it and other recording systems many times over the years. If not in the hundreds, at least dozens and dozens of times, including the one I'm currently having the problem with. And they basically all work the same, in my experience. I mean, you open a new track, hit record, and that's usually it, right? And I recorded several tracks just a few weeks ago on this machine. But a few nights ago I tried to record something and for some reason it just doesn't work.

My audio input seems to be working fine, as I can still record and send myself an audio text message. And my voice registers in the audio section of System Preferences. Also, my basic audio output must be working, since I have full audio playback on my machine overall. In fact, I can even listen to other songs I've recorded in the past on GB, track-for-track, and they're all fine. The ONLY thing I cannot do is record. When I click the red record button, the track starts to move, like usual, but it's just a flatline--there are none of those sound-wave graphics. And when I play it back, just silence.

If anyone can help, please let me know. Thank you!!

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 10:50 AM

Did you by any chance just upgrade the Mac to Mojave?

Mojave introduced new security features. You now have to allow the applications to use the internal microphone or audio ports.

if you have not yet done so, open "System Preferences > Security & Privacy" and click the "Privacy" tab. Click "Microphone" in the sidebar and allow GarageBand to access it.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2018 10:50 AM in response to scaledog

Did you by any chance just upgrade the Mac to Mojave?

Mojave introduced new security features. You now have to allow the applications to use the internal microphone or audio ports.

if you have not yet done so, open "System Preferences > Security & Privacy" and click the "Privacy" tab. Click "Microphone" in the sidebar and allow GarageBand to access it.

User uploaded file

Can't record on GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.