Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 11” dropping WiFi or so it seems

New iPad Pro just loses connectivity to internet/WiFi for no obvious reasons many times a day - all other wireless devices on the same WLAN function correctly while I have an issue - what’s up with that?

iPad Pro 11-inch, Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 9:56 PM

I have this same issue but only with a USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter plugged in. The Wi-Fi stops working randomly once or twice a day only when this adapter is plugged in. If you also have this adapter plugged in, there is a workaround that has worked for me the last two times this happened. If not, you have a different issue than mine.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2018 9:56 PM in response to ahearn

I have this same issue but only with a USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter plugged in. The Wi-Fi stops working randomly once or twice a day only when this adapter is plugged in. If you also have this adapter plugged in, there is a workaround that has worked for me the last two times this happened. If not, you have a different issue than mine.

Nov 14, 2018 7:39 PM in response to ahearn

Hey ahearn,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're having some trouble with the Wi-Fi connection on your iPad, so I wanted to reach out with some things you can check. For starters, have you seen this official resource yet: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Beyond that, I'd be interested to know more about the situation. How long has this been happening? Did you notice that it started happening after changing something on the iPad, like after updating the software or after installing something new? Do the Wi-Fi disconnects happen specifically in response to something, like everytime you launch a certain app or go somewhere?

Jan 22, 2019 7:36 AM in response to ahearn

I have the same issues exactly as everyone else. It got so bad that I actually had to disable wifi so the LTE could work. That was interesting in that the iPad trying to get to the wifi would prevent LTE!

Interestingly, I have an iPhone XR with no wifi issues, but an iPhone 7+ that my wife has, also has the same problem as the iPad. This seems to point to an iOS bug.

Anyways, I just decided to do the following which seems to have fixed the problem for both the iPad and 7+..

1. Back up your iPad in iTunes.
  2. Select your iPad/Summary and select Restore iPad. This will wipe everything back to the original factory settings.
  3. Interestingly, this popped up a Software Update to iOS 12.1.1 which would not show before. Select Install
  4. On Reboot, follow the on-screen instructions and then Restore from iTunes Backup.
  5. It seems to be working perfectly now.

Feb 6, 2019 3:08 PM in response to TomTulsa

I did the same Tom and am also waiting to hear back.

Actions attempted up until now:

1. restarted iPad Pro
  2. restarted router
  3. updated to latest ios (the one that just became available)
  4. tried connecting to another router/WiFi
  5. reset wireless settings in iPad Pro (which deleted them all)
  6. reset iPad Pro to factory settings and backed up from computer

Apple asked that I try to reset my iPad Pro to factory settings and back up from Cloud next if the issue persisted. It has persisted.

Nov 19, 2018 4:57 PM in response to ahearn

This is a consistent problem when the Apple USB-C to headphone adapter is plugged in and the iPad goes into Sleep Mode. When the iPad is awakened, the Wi-Fi loses connection. Unplugging the adapter restores Wi-Fi connection after a few seconds.

I tried replacing the Apple USB-C adapter and even returned my iPad Pro 11 for a new one. The same problem occurs.

Nov 21, 2018 7:15 PM in response to ahearn

Holy cow! This might be the fix to my problem. I have tried everything...... the Apple Branded headphone adaptor may be the issue here. Over the last 20 minutes I have tried test after test. That dongle may be the problem coming out of sleep mode with it plugged in.

My machine says that it’s connected to WIFI but it can’t get to the internet. the only fix was to reboot. But, pull that dongle and it fixes itself. wake from sleep without the dongle in and there is not issues.

interestingly, I don’t have this problem at all until the battery is 50% or less. Works fine all day with the dongle in or not.

drop that battery to 50% or less and the problem started.

this might be the fix!

Nov 22, 2018 4:11 AM in response to ahearn

I am certain now that the headphone dongle is the cause of the issue. The battery percent doesn’t matter. I even tested the dongle without the actual headphones attached. If the iPad wakes up from sleep with the dongle in, it can’t find the internet. If I pull the dongle, it finds the internet within a couple of seconds.

how do we report this problem to apple?

I wonder if it’s the dongle or software or ipad hardware?

Nov 22, 2018 4:42 AM in response to ahearn

I have now tested for this problem using the SD to USB C official apple dongle. It does not cause a problem with WiFi/internet on waking.

the official apple usb C headphone adaptor IS the issue.

my pure guess is that since a reboot with the headphone dongle in solves the problem (until the next sleep/wake cycle), this is likely a software problem.

how can we make apple aware of this?

Nov 22, 2018 9:46 AM in response to ahearn

Brought my iPad Pro to the Apple Store located at Apple's Cupertino Headquarters for an exchange 3 days ago. Showed a rep the problem on the iPad. We were able to consistently reproduce it, even after a factory reset. The rep logged the problem and said the iPad will go to a developer for analysis.

I'm sure by now Apple is aware of this problem. How motivated they are to fix it is another question. I'm sure Apple would be happy if wired headphone customers bought new wireless AirPods as a solution to this problem. BTW, the new iPad Pro that I brought home has the same problem.

Jan 2, 2019 5:35 AM in response to chuck_3rd

I have the same issue. I don’t recall it was triggered by an iOS update (and it persisted after updating to 12.1.1), and I don’t use USB-C dongles when it occurs. For the first month all was well, but since a couple of days wifi connection is dropping out even when the iPad is not sleeing. My iPhone stays connected to the wifi, also when it is next to the iPad.

Any folks experiencing the same? The Apple tips on not being able to connect to Wifi don’t help resolve this.

iPad Pro 11” dropping WiFi or so it seems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.