Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook Author - copied .iba to make a new book now iBook will not open it cas it sees the previous book still in there.

iBook Author - I copied .iba to make a new book now iBook will not open it because it sees the previous book still on the shelf. The name of the book is different and when I published it to the store through iTunes Connect it appears as a separate book. Has a different Apple ID and everything. For some reason on my MacBook Pro in iBook it refuses to load the new copied book. I realize I messed up and did not reset the ID or use the File->Duplicate option. So it is acting like the same book on the shelf and will not load. If I delete the other book from the shelf in iBooks then it loads just fine. I fear I have an Apple ID for the 2 books duplicated or something even though it shows on Connect as 2 different Apple ID's to identify the 2 different books. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to reset one and then end up with another unique book in the iTunes store. This would leave orphaned books that need to be deleted which I do not have access to do.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iBooks import to library not workin

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 11:34 AM

First of all let me state again I messed up and used the wrong approach in copying a book as described. DON'T DO IT. This was not an Apple issue but a user mistake. After a lot of headache and discovery on my MacBook Pro I figure out what I could do to resolve this and not loose the work I had done in the new book. To fix a book that will not load into your iBook app on your MacBook or device make sure in the iBook Author app to select the File->Reset for Apple Books... option. (avoid the Duplicate option) What this does is reset the Apple ID and other meta data associated with uniquely identifying your book. Now when you export to iBook for your local machine it can now be loaded manually into your iBook app shelf. Once you publish the book and use iTunes Connect you can see the new Apple ID that has been assigned to your book.

In summary, don't manually copy a book for any reason but if you do Apple has built in a way to save you from your self. It is not documented exactly but trial and error helped me resolve this myself. I have updated the call center with my findings and admitted mistake on my part. I suggest making a template to build the same look and fill book style but if not use the Reset option before trying to load into your iBook app on your mac or publishing it to a store. Hope this helps when a guy takes the time to admit his mistake and then shares the resolve he made as well. Yours truly, Mr. Humble

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2018 11:34 AM in response to smithdal

First of all let me state again I messed up and used the wrong approach in copying a book as described. DON'T DO IT. This was not an Apple issue but a user mistake. After a lot of headache and discovery on my MacBook Pro I figure out what I could do to resolve this and not loose the work I had done in the new book. To fix a book that will not load into your iBook app on your MacBook or device make sure in the iBook Author app to select the File->Reset for Apple Books... option. (avoid the Duplicate option) What this does is reset the Apple ID and other meta data associated with uniquely identifying your book. Now when you export to iBook for your local machine it can now be loaded manually into your iBook app shelf. Once you publish the book and use iTunes Connect you can see the new Apple ID that has been assigned to your book.

In summary, don't manually copy a book for any reason but if you do Apple has built in a way to save you from your self. It is not documented exactly but trial and error helped me resolve this myself. I have updated the call center with my findings and admitted mistake on my part. I suggest making a template to build the same look and fill book style but if not use the Reset option before trying to load into your iBook app on your mac or publishing it to a store. Hope this helps when a guy takes the time to admit his mistake and then shares the resolve he made as well. Yours truly, Mr. Humble

iBook Author - copied .iba to make a new book now iBook will not open it cas it sees the previous book still in there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.