Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ghost" epubs on Books 3.1(2183) Big Sur won't delete

I added three (3) .epub files that do not contain DRM to my MacBook's books app. I did so by using the method "File -> Add to Library". Once they were imported, I deleted the local files since they are now stored in iCloud. The issue is I can not open, edit, delete, find, or view them at all. They are frozen/stuck on this list of books in the library.

Any attempt to change the name or category is instantly reverted. Double clicking on them does nothing. Right clicking and selecting "Delete" makes them disappear and instantly reappear. They do not appear on my iPhones book library, only on the MacBook. I own the MacBook, iPhone, and Watch with no other products. I feel as though this is an error/bug caused by importing and syncing when the original file doesn't exist anymore.

I am simply trying to remove them from the Book's list. Please advise, thanks!

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 1:30 PM

Solved my own problem.

The issue was the .epub files attribute was set to "locked". This restricts any edit, change, or delete action for that file. I found it accidentally while browsing System Preferences.

The solution: On your MacOS, click the Apple Logo at the top left and go to System Preferences -> Apple ID. At the bottom where it says "iCloud Storage" click the 'Manage...' button. Find your 'Apple Books' app on the list and highlight it. Click "Show in Finder.." You will now see all of your .pdf's and .epub's that you added in a new Finder window. From here, find the books that you can not remove (note: their file name may be different than their title name) and then move them to the trash. You will get a prompt along the lines of "this file is locked, do you want to continue?" Click yes, empty your trash, and the problem should resolve.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 1:30 PM in response to darkzaku

Solved my own problem.

The issue was the .epub files attribute was set to "locked". This restricts any edit, change, or delete action for that file. I found it accidentally while browsing System Preferences.

The solution: On your MacOS, click the Apple Logo at the top left and go to System Preferences -> Apple ID. At the bottom where it says "iCloud Storage" click the 'Manage...' button. Find your 'Apple Books' app on the list and highlight it. Click "Show in Finder.." You will now see all of your .pdf's and .epub's that you added in a new Finder window. From here, find the books that you can not remove (note: their file name may be different than their title name) and then move them to the trash. You will get a prompt along the lines of "this file is locked, do you want to continue?" Click yes, empty your trash, and the problem should resolve.

"Ghost" epubs on Books 3.1(2183) Big Sur won't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.