Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV airplay video choppy

I searched and didn’t find much that was related to my issue.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus on 12.1

And an Apple TV, not 4K I don’t think. Has the touch pad remote and it’s about 1-1/2yr old.

Whenever I airplay video it’s slow and choppy.

My WiFi’s Speedtest on iPhone is 19mb/sec

I thought at first it might be the GoPro video I was airplaying from my phone, maybe too much bitrate, but hen I tried just a plain video **** with my phone and it does same thing.

Just wondering if there was settings in Apple TV or maybe HDMI cable could be causing it

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 8:18 AM

Similar questions

17 replies

Nov 14, 2018 9:13 PM in response to Photogdave

That is called peer to peer airplay, which uses Bluetooth for discovery and then creates an ad-hoc network between the devices. It still doesn’t rule out the network. I suggested using home sharing to see if it persisted when bypassing airplay.

I have used airplay for all kinds of videos on a 4th Gen without issue.

If you want to see the recommended video specs

Apple TV - Technical Specifications - Apple (CA)

FYI: syncing hasn’t been necessary for quite some time. Full Music and photo libraries can be setup to automically sync to the cloud and be available on all devices. iTunes is really only for having housing a local music/video library, iTunes purchases, and home sharing.

Nov 14, 2018 9:17 AM in response to Photogdave

UPDATE:

So I used a new High Speed HMDI cable and that didn’t help.

I do notice the closer my phone is to Apple TV the better it is.

Which put phone further away from router.

By the way, in my original post it’s supposed to read “video SHOT with my phone”

So when I want to type **** the Autocorrect makes it “shot”.

And when I want to say shot, it autocorrects it to “****”. Story of my life.

Nov 14, 2018 11:40 AM in response to Photogdave

That is correct, in this case the video resides on your phone so internet isn't being used at all. However, even if you were streaming airplay itself is done over the local network so if you are having an issue with airplay you need to look at your local network.

Airplay uses the local network to send the video from your phone over to the Apple TV.

Yes, interference is usually the cause of buffering/choppy video. The age of the router can be a factor, also make sure it's up to date. Things to consider for interference are: distance between Apple TV and router, placement of Apple TV, amount of Wifi devices in the area, other appliances running on the same frequency (i.e. microwave, cordless phone, baby monitor etc)

The diagnostic report will show an accurate representation of your current network status.

Nov 14, 2018 4:14 PM in response to vazandrew

Well no luck getting a report

I have a PC

The tried istumbler, that only works on Mac.

The netstumbler was trying to install weird stuff and I canceled it. Again, I have a PC and don’t wanna risk infecting my computer downloading something weird I’ve never heard of.

I connected the Apple TV to Ethernet and it was still doing same thing.

It’s almost like the Apple TV doesn’t have the horsepower to process video through AirPlay like that.

It plays ok. But when there’s motion or panning it hangs up and it’s jerky. Not smooth like it is on my iPhone.

Nov 14, 2018 5:20 PM in response to vazandrew

I’ll see if I can try that. I’ve never fooled with home sharing.

I absolutely despise iTunes so I only use it when I have to.

Surely Apple can come up with a better idea than iTunes.

It’s such a pain in the *** to get a photo or video on your device.

You have to create s folder, sync phone with iTunes. Then if I want to remove it, I have to remove photo from folder resync. It’s ridiculous.

My work around for years on images has been email them to myself and then save image to camera roll 🙄

I wouldn’t have another phone, but I sure do wish apple would ditch the old method of intubes and sync for everything

Music always gets screwed up when I sync.

Nov 14, 2018 6:35 PM in response to Photogdave

Ok, update:

I figured out it’s not the router at all.

I figured out you don’t even need the router to airplay from iPhone to ATV. I removed the network and issue still exists.

I have two issues

1) Optical Image stabilizer when video with iPhone and panning is jerky while airplaying.

Not sure why but it does. All other movement in the video is fluid.

2) Lag or buffering. If I open a video and click play immediately it hangs like it’s buffering. I think it has to load some video first.

But if I give it a minute it plays without hanging.

Also noticed once the video(from GoPro) has already played through, and I click play again it’s fine.

So my thinking is, the ATV4 hardware is borderline too slow for the high bitrate video to play through airplay.

Maybe the 4K version will be faster and smoother...

Still need to figure it why the iPhone video is notchy when panning only on airplay

Apple TV airplay video choppy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.