Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect HomePod to Apple TV without WiFi

Hello,

I live in my college's dorms where broadcast/multicasting on WiFi is blocked. I would like to get a HomePod to use exclusively as the sound for my Apple TV 4K. Will HomePod connect to Apple TV exclusively or will it need WiFi?

Also, there is not a network my college provides where both my iPhone and the HomePod would be one the same network (same goes for the Apple TV). So setting it up would also be a challenge. Probably would have to personal hotspot it. Any ideas or help is appreciated!

I work in ITS here so I know my way around technology and love a good challenge, just because it is hard doesn't mean it is no.

Thanks!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 1:19 PM

2 replies

Nov 16, 2018 1:26 PM in response to Foxy754

You need Wi-Fi for the HomePod, and it must be able to see the Apple TV on the same subnet, as well as your iOS device when you configure it. Something like this may be a workaround - https://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-TripMate-Hotspot/dp/B00I00J 8DW?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5 - taking either a wired or wireless connection and building your own private network that connects to it.

tt2

Connect HomePod to Apple TV without WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.