Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artists under Compilation Albums

I guess that this maybe has been asked before put could not find exactly what I want when I searched. Apologies if that is the case.

I run iTunes on my Windows PC and sync to my iPod Classic. I have some 240 albums and almost 5,500 songs.

For example I have a couple of "Queen" albums but I also have a couple of compilation albums which have some "Queen" songs on them. If I search for "Queen" under the "Artists" tab it only shows those songs that are on the actual "Queen" albums, and not any on compilations.

If I 'untick' the box "compilation" (Album is a compilation of songs by various artists) for all the songs on that album suddenly become individual albums. So, suddenly for a 40 song, 2 CD album, my albums increase from 240 to 280.

Is there another way please?

Can't understand Apple's logic here!

Thanks for any help. Kind regards

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 1:08 PM

See Grouping tracks into albums. I think the intention is to avoid cluttering the artists menus with artists who only have one track on one compilation album. Depending on the way you organize your data and the settings on the device you should be able to search for Queen and have all tracks appear regardless of which album they are on. You may want to try turning off the Compilations menu item on the Classic and see if you prefer the result it produces.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2018 1:08 PM in response to grannex

See Grouping tracks into albums. I think the intention is to avoid cluttering the artists menus with artists who only have one track on one compilation album. Depending on the way you organize your data and the settings on the device you should be able to search for Queen and have all tracks appear regardless of which album they are on. You may want to try turning off the Compilations menu item on the Classic and see if you prefer the result it produces.

tt2

Nov 25, 2018 12:24 AM in response to turingtest2

Very many thanks for the reply. I am sorry to be so long in getting back to you but have had other priorities to deal with first.

I found you reply very helpful and the link was very interesting too. I have opted to leave compilations set on my iTunes but by setting iTunes to display "songs" I can select "artists" this way which includes all songs by artist, even those in complilations. This gives me what I want.

Many thanks and kind regards

Artists under Compilation Albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.