Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Utility asks for device password but does not accept

Use AirPort Extreme with AirPort Express to extend network to guesthouse. AirPort Firmware is up to date .

iMac late 2013 Mojave / iPad Pro 3 gen iOS 12.1

I set up three years ago. I wanted to view info on the Airport Express ( from iPad ) and it asked for device password. I entered my device password, not accept.

Entered my iMac password and network password, not accept.

tried Device password again, then it asks to put to keychain, I say yes.

But I still cannot view the information and it is endless loop with asking for device password. Airport Utility never asked before for password. how to correct?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPad Pro Wi-Fi 12.9 (2018)-OTHER, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 4:09 PM

I have Network password and Disk password saved in KeyChain, and both are the same ( I did this intentionally so I would not get confuse).

There are 3 passwords on the AirPort routers.....sometimes more.

Base Station......also known as the device password

Network.....or wireless password

Disk......hard drive password if you have an AirPort Time Capsule or a hard drive connected to an AirPort Extreme

So, you are saying that the Network Password and the Disk Password are the same. But....do you know the Base Station password for the AirPort Express?

AirPort Utility on the iPad is asking for the Base Station password of the AirPort Express in order to access the settings of the device.

If you do not know the Base Station password for the AirPort Express, you can reset it using a Soft Reset. This Apple Support document will tell you how:

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

Or, you might be able to use AirPort Utility on your Mac to see the Base Station password for the AriPort Express. Open up AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort Express, click Edit and then click the Base Station menu at the very top of the screen where the other menus like File, Window, Help, etc appear. Click on Show Passwords to see all the stored passwords for the AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2018 4:09 PM in response to Cåts

I have Network password and Disk password saved in KeyChain, and both are the same ( I did this intentionally so I would not get confuse).

There are 3 passwords on the AirPort routers.....sometimes more.

Base Station......also known as the device password

Network.....or wireless password

Disk......hard drive password if you have an AirPort Time Capsule or a hard drive connected to an AirPort Extreme

So, you are saying that the Network Password and the Disk Password are the same. But....do you know the Base Station password for the AirPort Express?

AirPort Utility on the iPad is asking for the Base Station password of the AirPort Express in order to access the settings of the device.

If you do not know the Base Station password for the AirPort Express, you can reset it using a Soft Reset. This Apple Support document will tell you how:

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

Or, you might be able to use AirPort Utility on your Mac to see the Base Station password for the AriPort Express. Open up AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort Express, click Edit and then click the Base Station menu at the very top of the screen where the other menus like File, Window, Help, etc appear. Click on Show Passwords to see all the stored passwords for the AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2018 2:40 PM in response to Cåts

I want to add that I just came inside and checked- I have Network password and Disk password saved in KeyChain, and both are the same ( I did this intentionally so I would not get confuse).

So I wonder then: why it didn't accept the correct password when I entered Network password?

(I can change things on AirPort utility from the iMac - yet not view information on the iPad? Is there a setting I am missing?)

Nov 17, 2018 3:39 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks you, Bob Timmons,

Yes, I know the Base Station password. Is the same as the Disk and Network Passwords. ( sorry I forgot to mention that earlier post).

And I double checked with method you mentioned on my iMac, -AirPort Utility-Base Station- Passwords (all correct)

So that makes the question of why - when I entered the Network password (which is same as Base Station and Disk) it was not accepted there?

Nov 17, 2018 4:08 PM in response to Cåts

Likely corrupted keychain settings. Start over and set up the AirPort Extreme with a new password. Then, set up the AirPort Express again to extend the network.

It is not generally a good idea to use the same password for the network and base station, since any device (or person) that can connect to the wireless network can also access and change the device settings on the AirPort. But, it's your call.

AirPort Utility asks for device password but does not accept

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.