Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spacebar double space (Macbook Pro 2018)

Hi Apple Forum,

I've had my Macbook Pro 2018 since August and have been noticing an issue with the spacebar where I often type double spaces when I press the spacebar only once. Also, the spacebar is not registering sometimes in very specific spots. I have been typing with other keyboards and not been experiencing this issue.

I have seen that people suggest turning off key repeat settings which I have done fully but that doesn't seem to affect the space key for some reason. Is this is a software issue or hardware? It is very frustrating and I have seen other posts about it but very minimal support.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3), macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 7:27 AM

71 replies

Aug 24, 2019 11:02 AM in response to Pinzman

Honestly, this looks like a gross recommendation, but here I am typing without any extra spaces or random period added to my sentences. I used my mouth as a vacuum back and forth several times. Then I pressed down on the all parts of my spacebar while wiping with a lint-free cloth on the edges to clean up. It is working great now. Thanks @Pinzman. I'll classify under #weirdbuttrue.

Feb 10, 2019 3:50 PM in response to Pinzman

IT WORKS!

OK, so you obviously can't get your whole mouth over the spacebar but lips pressed above and below, followed by pressing and a super sucking action along it and I guess it does the equivalent of a vacuum combined with compressed air. Debris dealt with. Note to self: don't clean the keyboard with anything other than a lint-free cloth.

May 6, 2019 4:37 AM in response to tsoukadaris

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook and MacBook Pro - Apple Support try this. I tried the suggested solution. It doesn't work because it's an actual well-known defect in the hardware with an unfortunate class-action lawsuit with it. Apple was kind (if you will) to offer me this link. The agent seems to be genuine. Apple has a reputation that they must uphold and this would be unacceptable. Therefore, I hope this link helps. Taken my MBP in for repair and free of charge. Good luck!

Jan 19, 2019 7:58 AM in response to glebovgin

Same . problem. Two laptops . into this mess. No known fix other than to send the laptop back to my company's IT . department.

[Note: the extra periods above and in this . line . are naturally occurring due . to this . problem – seriously, I'm not faking this]

My company replaced my first MacBook Pro after the double space issue started a week after I got it. They didn't believe me at first, but then someone else came with the same issue later . that day. The issue started in my second MBP about a month after using it. It's mostly double spaces, but for some reason in this message, I'm getting . mostly extra periods. Have not figured out how to fix it. Would love some help Apple. I'll keep sending back laptops to IT in the meantime.

Jan 28, 2019 3:48 AM in response to djsteveporter

OMG, and I thought that it was me having a problem positioning my hand on the keyboard. I noticed this more than a month ago. My MBP 13 is fron October.

Of course this is happening while on travel where I don't have an external keyboard...

I was hoping to stay away from support when I chose this brand. Now I will have to spend more to get an Apple Care because I know I will need it!

Feb 10, 2019 3:28 PM in response to bhargav.y

+1 on this issue too. A 15" 2018 MBP Touch Bar purchased in August 2018. Random double spacing started to occur three weeks ago while I was overseas. I thought the randomness of this issue suggests a software issue but apparently not according to this thread. My MBP is mission critical so the thought of being without it for any length of time is distressing. Should have kept my 2013 MBP as a back up - but shouldn't have needed to! Come on Apple, sort it out once-for-all.

UPDATE: On a couple (useless) YouTube videos regarding this issue one commenter suggested covering your spacebar with your mouth and SUCKING. Apparently it successfully dislodges debris causing the problem and people are hailing it a success - shutting dow now to try it.

Feb 17, 2019 2:42 AM in response to bhargav.y

I've spent around 5,000 € on this Macbook and I've had to replace 3 devices since I have bought it, in September 2018.

This is outrageous. This keyboard is as faulty as it can get. First it was the "W", then it was the the "G", then I don't even remember but now it's the Space Bar, which occasionally does a "double input". I have also purchased a keyboard protector, which helped for a couple of months, just to then make the problem appear as expected.

I am going to contact Apple, which I hope will replace once more the faulty device instead of doing "just a repair". But this is so frustrating. I've been Apple client since 2010 and I'm being very honest with all people who want to purchase the new Macbooks. DO NOT DO IT, it's a rip off.

Feb 19, 2019 9:09 AM in response to djsteveporter

wait - so you've had four different laptops that had the same problem? Ridiculous. My computer was having this same problem just a few months after I first bought it, so I got the keyboard replaced (cost me 400 pounds!) and now it's having the problem again. I guess I'm just going to get an external keyboard instead of paying to get this fixed or replaced, if it's just going to have the same problem.

Feb 19, 2019 9:14 AM in response to ktroyq

Wait... You PAID to fix it? It should be included in the warranty, since it's a WELL KNOWN issue with Apple laptops. My first 3 replacements were done between the first 15 days, but since after changing the 3rd one I bought a keyboard cover hoping to avoid the problem, it actually took around 2 months for the problem to show up on my current Macbook. I've been in contact with Apple that apparently won't replace or refund my purchase for this one, and now they are seeing what it can be done. Probably a repair, but I can't help but wondering how long it will go until the problem will show again.

Are they expecting me to send my macbook for repair every two weeks? What should I use during the repair? Purchase another Macbook that will show the same problem? Or maybe purchase a laptop from another company? This is ridiculous. I can't believe that after the shitstorm with 2015 models they didn't make sure to solve this problem completely.

Spacebar double space (Macbook Pro 2018)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.