Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 10.9.5 acting crazy

Sorry for the title, but the software is acting up. The screen will disappear and the dashboard shows up. Windows start twitching or closing completely. Windows start sliding to the right and the dashboard appears on the left and then takes over. I've run Disk Doctor to no avail. I could not find any malware/virus apps for this old of an OS. I am afraid to download anything from the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've backed up to time capsule, but I'm sure that has backed up the malware as well. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 3:43 AM

Hello jtp49,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're experiencing some unexpected performance issues with your MacBook Pro. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by testing if this behavior occurs if you restart your MacBook Pro in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue disappears in safe mode, follow the steps in this section to rule out incompatible login items:

If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode

If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed.

Using another user account can help further isolate if this is happening due to specific files or settings with your user account. If you don't have another user account on your MacBook Pro, here's how you can create one for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted with the results.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2018 3:43 AM in response to jtp49

Hello jtp49,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're experiencing some unexpected performance issues with your MacBook Pro. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by testing if this behavior occurs if you restart your MacBook Pro in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue disappears in safe mode, follow the steps in this section to rule out incompatible login items:

If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode

If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed.

Using another user account can help further isolate if this is happening due to specific files or settings with your user account. If you don't have another user account on your MacBook Pro, here's how you can create one for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted with the results.

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2018 3:43 AM in response to i_rina

Thank you. I called Apple and they had me boot in safe mode. It still happened. We got cut off, but she gave me a number to a local repair shop and they said it was too old for them to work on. I ran Etre and a malware program and both didn't see any malware, but stated the system was very outdated. Can't update because Apple doesn't provide that support. So, off to the store we go. Thank you for your response. I just hope we don't repeat the problem when I upload the backup to the new computer.

MacBook Pro 10.9.5 acting crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.