Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mojave running slows down

Hello there.

My Macbook pro-2017 13 inc has some issues with opening programs and applications.

I figure out these issues the day before yesterday.

For example, when I open Google Chrome or VSCode, it takes a long time to open that app.

The Icon in Dock starts animating up and down for 3 or 2 minutes.

And after that, the window of the app appears and after a few seconds, the content loads.

I checked out Activity Monitor for system resources.

CPU idle is between 80% to 95%.

RAM has 4 or 3 GB free.

And Disk has 90GB free too.

After checking these, I thought it might be a trojan!

I installed an anty virus and after scanning the whole system, it says there are no viruses.

So I thought to install macOS again, and I did!

But still, my Mac running slows!!!

Any thoughts???

MacBook

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 8:47 AM

Cleanmymac cripples systems. Never let it anywhere near your mac.

You should do a clean install.

1) Make a bootable clone and a Time Machine backup, on separate drives

2) Erase and install a fresh system

3) Migrate ONLY the user accounts

4) Install ONLY the applications you need, from the App Store or their developers websites.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 8:47 AM in response to hrahimi270

Cleanmymac cripples systems. Never let it anywhere near your mac.

You should do a clean install.

1) Make a bootable clone and a Time Machine backup, on separate drives

2) Erase and install a fresh system

3) Migrate ONLY the user accounts

4) Install ONLY the applications you need, from the App Store or their developers websites.

Aug 1, 2019 9:31 AM in response to hrahimi270

Uninstall the antivirus software. It is worthless on a Mac since there are no virus that can run on a Mac. All antivirus software does on a Mac is lie to you and cause problems.

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Use the Add Text button to include the Etrecheck report in your reply.

Aug 1, 2019 10:09 AM in response to hrahimi270

Also you could consider replacing Chrome with either Safari or Firefox. Chrome is a known resource hog. If you don't like Safari Firefox is a better choice as a replacement browser and is much more secure than Chrome or any google software.

When you to to add the Etrecheck report be sure to use the Additional Text button in the tool bar below:

macOS Mojave running slows down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.