Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers, I want to hide formulas

When I send a Numbers spreadsheet, I want to send it with the formulas NOT visible by the user. They will have certain cells to input data, to produce a result (answer), but I want the formula hidden. Also, is there a way to lock individual cells/columns/rows, instead of the whole spreadsheet?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 4:12 PM

No.

You can password-protect the spreadsheet (in Numbers, 'spreadsheet', 'spreadsheet document' and 'document' all refer to the entire document, which may contain several Sheets, each of which may contain several Tables).

You can lock a table, which will protect cells on that table from being selected or changed. Without selecting the cell, the user will not be able to view the formula contained in that cell. This 'locking' and 'unlocking'is a simple menu selection, and is not password controlled.

A general design principal for Numbers documents is to separate data entry and calculations, placing each type of cell as much as possible,on separate tables, allowing the calculation cells to be locked while data entry is not affected.

You can place a request for this feature using the Provide Numbers Feedback item in the Numbers menu.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2018 4:12 PM in response to aapilotgouge

No.

You can password-protect the spreadsheet (in Numbers, 'spreadsheet', 'spreadsheet document' and 'document' all refer to the entire document, which may contain several Sheets, each of which may contain several Tables).

You can lock a table, which will protect cells on that table from being selected or changed. Without selecting the cell, the user will not be able to view the formula contained in that cell. This 'locking' and 'unlocking'is a simple menu selection, and is not password controlled.

A general design principal for Numbers documents is to separate data entry and calculations, placing each type of cell as much as possible,on separate tables, allowing the calculation cells to be locked while data entry is not affected.

You can place a request for this feature using the Provide Numbers Feedback item in the Numbers menu.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 21, 2018 10:34 AM in response to Barry

Another suggestion:

Providing two Numbers apps similar to iBooks Author/iBooks:

1. one app for developers of the sheets in a Numbers file (similar to iBooks Author — composing): "Numbers for Developers"
  2. another one for using the sheets in a "published" Numbers file (similar to iBooks — read only): "Numbers for Users"

• Developers are allowed to use all functions provided by Numbers.
  • Users are blocked from using all functions and layouts, hence layouts, functions and formats will be kept as provided by the developer. Users are allowed only to play with checkboxes, Pop-up menus, ... and to enter data in data entry cells (mandatory enter, mandatory fill and trigger cells) provided by the developer.

Paul.

Nov 21, 2018 8:44 PM in response to stfflspl

Hi Paul,

Interesting suggestion. Wrong audience, though. Apple's development teams don't read or participate in these user-to-user community discussions. Try the feedback channel, accessed through the Provide Numbers Feedback item in the Numbers menu, to make a feature enhancement request.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers, I want to hide formulas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.