Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iMac automatically sign into iCloud unless I open the keychain access application, even though I keep typing in the correct password for my iMac to sign into iCloud?

When I wake up my iMac from sleep, it no longer signs into icloud automatically. Therefore I open system preferences and manually enter the correct password, over and over and it wil not access icloud. . .

However!

If I leave iCloud/System Preference open and then open KeyChain Access (application) and do anything that requires my iMac password (which is different from my iCloud), as soon as I enter the iMac password in and hit enter, suddenly iCloud becomes available at the very same time.

Neither passwords are the same, although I will get an error message stating that they are and it's more of a warning message that it's not a good idea to do that. But, they are not the same.

Do have to seek a Shaman and agree to dancing partially naked under a full moon with my very fat and lumpy body a wigglin' and jigglin' for the all the heavens to abhor?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), macOS Mojave (10.14.1), Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 6:52 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 21, 2018 11:01 AM in response to AnthonyFasolo

Hello AnthonyFasolo,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to stay signed into your Apple ID in System Preferences > iCloud, unless you open Keychain Access on your Mac. First, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

Why won't my iMac automatically sign into iCloud unless I open the keychain access application, even though I keep typing in the correct password for my iMac to sign into iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.