Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse issues on Mac Mini 2018?

I have been using the Mac Mini 2012 with macOS Mojave since it was released. Then I ordered the Mac Mini 2018 and since I have been using that computer with my Magic Mouse - it keeps "lagging" when using it. It moves slowly etc. If I then disconnect the mouse and connect again it is gone, then after some time it starts to do it again...

Anyone with the same experience that know how to fix it?

Thanks.

Br,

Toby

Mac mini, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), 2018

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 5:35 AM

31 replies

Nov 25, 2018 8:06 AM in response to Bobbypoz

My initial thoughts are that if I unplug the USB drive and then restart the Mac it does not appear.

But if I have the USB drive connected and then disconnect it without restarting the Mac then it still appears after that.

I will continue to investigate this and I have opened a ticket with Apple Support as well.

Dec 16, 2018 2:12 PM in response to Tobsch

I have the same exact issue. I have tried everything that I can find. Replaced batteries, delete device from bluetooth profile and re connect, Delete PVRAM, Performed memory reset, I have reloaded the MAC OS, deleted plist files.. Eventually it comes back after a restart, completely unusable.. It was recommended to unhook all peripheral devices, but that didn't solve anything..

I am starting to think its a bluetooth version issue. The old mac mini was using version 4.x, and the 2018 mac mini is using 5.0.

I did a chat with apple, they want me to bring my mouse and mac mini in and have them test it, run diagnostics.. I have a feeling if I were to buy the magic mouse 2, it wouldn't have this issue..

Jan 2, 2019 1:46 AM in response to Tobsch

I experience exactly the same problem with my magic mouse and a new macbook pro 2018... two things are connected to the macbook: a LG 32UD99 4K screen and an LMP USB-C Dongle with a network cable on it, that's it.

I'm disappointed that these little bugs exist on such an expensive piece of hardware... also the mouse works perfectly well when linked to my other computer (another macbook pro from 2014).

If this is a way for us to buy a new mouse then I'll most certainly end up dropping Apple from my setup altogether. I hooked an ugly cheap Logitech USB mouse to the dongle to do the work properly for now.

Jan 4, 2019 9:56 PM in response to laurent284

I have the same issues with my Mac Mini 2018 and the Magic Mouse 2. The mouse lag is intermittent and it's especially worst if I don't touch the mouse for a few minutes. I'm not sure if this is a Mojave Bluetooth 5.0 issue but I have read from others that the mouse really needs to be close to the MM and the issue will just about go away. I have the Mini roughly 4 feet away so it should be fine. I have tried Shift + Option + Debug + Reset the bluetooth module and it helps for a while but it does return. Same with PRAM, after a while, the issue is back. I do have 2 external hard drives, 2 hubs and 2 monitors connected and I've tried unplugging/replugging but the lag is still there, just not as bad. It's very disappointing to see this happen and I really hope to find a fix to this problem.

Jan 5, 2019 7:23 AM in response to Tobsch

I have a similar situation. I believe this problem is caused by USB 3 interfering with Bluetooth. This is apparently an industry-wide problem, but the Mac Mini seems very susceptible. So far, my magic mouse only works within about 1.5 feet of the Mac Mini, or if I unplug my USB 3 hub and all USB 3 peripherals. (NOT a satisfactory solution BTW.)

I would love some guidance on which USB 3 cables and external drives are well-enough shielded to not jam Bluetooth and WiFi.

Jan 8, 2019 8:26 AM in response to Tobsch

USB 3 is "noisier" than USB 2 and 1) on the mini the BlueTooth antenna is in the back corner near the USB ports. 2) drive manufacturers cheap out on their USB 3 cables and external shielding. You see the results. There are a number of things you can try. At work I moved my USB 3 hub to the other side of the computer and purchased a shielded USB 3 cable for connecting the hub to the computer. (The USB 3 cable has a braided metal shield. I don't recall the manufacturer of the cable but I found it at an office supply store.) My 2018 mini doesn't (I should say didn't) get along with the external SSD I use. SSDs are also 'noisy' it seems. I fashioned a shield out of tin foil and that solved it.

Jan 23, 2019 11:13 AM in response to Jamie Cox1

I have now solved my interference problem. I ditched my cheap USB 3 hub. I bought new USB-C cables for the Mac Mini that are shielded. These "Cable Creation" cables from Amazon work okay for me, with no problems with the mouse while they are in use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CLPB3FB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am still using a USB 2 hub for slower-speed devices. I have a disk drive, optical drive and SD card reader connected via USB 3.

Feb 8, 2019 6:55 AM in response to Tobsch

I've having the same problem with my new Mac Mini and a new Magic Mouse 2. I have an old Magic Mouse (the one that takes batteries) and the lag isn't nearly as bad. The new mouse with the new Mac Mini is nearly unusable and very frustrating.

There are times when it works great and then suddenly the lag returns. I've contacted Apple twice via chat and a third time over the phone - after 30 minutes of troubleshooting I was to be transferred to another advisor and got disconnected. Haven't found a fix yet, but I hope to find a solution soon.

EDIT: I just read some things about using a USB3 hub, and I do have one of those in the mix at the moment. I've purchased a USBC hub and it should arrive tomorrow. Hoping that fixes everything. Thanks to those who suggested that

Feb 13, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Tobsch

Follow-up to my previous comment. I got the new usb-c hub, hoping it would solve the lag problem with the magic mouse, but it hasn't. I will say that things have gotten slightly better but it definitely didn't totally get rid of the problem. I'm still getting lag - it's not constant, but it comes and goes....and it's really frustrating.

I've wanted a Mac Mini for years, finally got one and it's almost unusable at times. I hope something can be done

Feb 14, 2019 6:07 AM in response to dwb

Not a bad suggestion for those looking for a new mouse, but for those that bought a new Magic Mouse to work with their new Mac Mini it's frustrating to experience such lag among products that should just work together.

I also agree that the Magic Mouse tends to go dead at all the wrong times (not their fault, I just forget that I have to recharge it). But I do wish the charging port wasn't on the bottom - if it were on the front you could at least use it as a wired mouse while it's charging...as it stands, all works comes to a halt once the battery dies.

Magic Mouse issues on Mac Mini 2018?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.