Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no images on messages since upgrade to iso12.1

no images on messages since upgrade to iso12.1 it just says downloading

iPhone 6, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 9:16 AM

8 replies

Nov 23, 2018 1:40 AM in response to pcalkel

Anybody seen my mind? I lost it. I need to correct myself. After Messages in iCloud has been enabled for a while and is then disabled, now that's actually when Messages might begin a heavy-duty download cycle for it would download everything that had previously been uploaded i.e. "off-loaded."

So, just curious:

• Is Messages in iCloud enabled? (Settings > Apple ID > iCloudAPPS USING ICLOUD : is Messages enabled?)
  • How much storage is Messages using in iCloud? (Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Manage StorageMessages)
  • How much storage is Messages using on the iPhone? (Settings > General > iPhone Storage ↳ scroll down to apps list)
  • Is it possible you were running Messages in iCloud and then restored a not-so-current backup which disabled it (because it wasn't enabled when backup was generated)? This is the only thing I can think of that would cause not only the download cycle but also the loss of recent downsized UI inline images which should otherwise remain in iPhone storage.

No matter, though. Images are downloading and the download process is stalled. As stupid as it sounds, I'd power cycle the iPhone at least a few times to try to spring it loose but, as you have by now surmised, I've lost my mind.

Nov 22, 2018 2:20 PM in response to pcalkel

Thanks for the reply. The only time Messages would be "downloading" that I can think of is when Messages in iCloud is enabled or re-enabled and then also when it's already been enabled and you restore the device. So if you restored the device in conjunction with the iOS update, that would explain it. Regardless, when Messages are downloading, it's probably a function of Messages in iCloud and can take a while. But I repeat myself.

no images on messages since upgrade to iso12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.