Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive - Unable to turn on "Desktop & Documents Folders"

I would like to use iCloud Drive to store all of my Desktop and Documents folders. I have enabled Preferences --> "iCloud Drive" and when I go to the Options panel, I see the option to enable "Desktop and Documents Folders", but it is grayed out and I cannot select it. See screenshot below.User uploaded file

Has anyone else run into this? Appreciate any ideas to resolve this issue. Thanks.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), null

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2018 2:39 PM

After troubleshooting this some more, I began to suspect a permissions issue. My laptop is managed by my company so I decided to take a look at the Profiles that were installed. Lo and behold, there is a profile installed that disables iCloud Desktop and Documents:

User uploaded file

Problem solved! Thanks to tygb and Eric Root for providing suggestions.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2018 2:39 PM in response to Bryan126

After troubleshooting this some more, I began to suspect a permissions issue. My laptop is managed by my company so I decided to take a look at the Profiles that were installed. Lo and behold, there is a profile installed that disables iCloud Desktop and Documents:

User uploaded file

Problem solved! Thanks to tygb and Eric Root for providing suggestions.

Nov 23, 2018 4:23 PM in response to Bryan126

I did some additional troubleshooting and the mystery deepens. If I go to Apple --> "About This Mac", select the Storage tab, and click Manage. In the Recommendations section, I can enable the option to "Store in iCloud".

User uploaded file

The status changes to Completed, and all of my Desktop and Documents files are synced and available in iCloud.

If I then open Preferences --> iCloud (so I can check if the iCloud Drive option to sync "Desktop and Documents Folders" is enabled), my Desktop and Documents folders stop syncing.

When I go back to the Storage tab, "Store in iCloud" is no longer enabled. If I click "Store in iCloud" again, the status changes to Completed and syncing starts again.

My short term work around is to avoid going into Preferences --> iCloud so that syncing does not get disabled. But this is not the right long term answer. Suggestion appreciated.

Nov 23, 2018 7:19 PM in response to Bryan126

In sytem preferences - icloud - I cloud drive - options if you uncheck the box of desktops and documents a pop window appears and you click on turn off .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

To turn on / check the box of documents and desktops again , again click on show in finder .

User uploaded file

Again tap on empty box of desktop and documents , a small circle will rotate setting up , finally the box of it would be checked and click on done .

Note : Your documents will be intact in iCloud Drive once again .

Nov 25, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Bryan126

You can use iCloud Drive as your Documents folder to circumvent the restrictions, if you want.

As a work-around you could create two folders on iCloud Drive. Name them "MyCloudDesktop" and "MyCloudDocuments"and put an alias to these folders on your Desktop and into the Documents folder. All items you are dragging to the "My iCloud Desktop" alias on your Desktop will sync with iCloud between your devices. All documents and folders you drag into the "My iCloud Documents" alias will also sync with iCloud.

Nov 24, 2018 12:54 PM in response to Bryan126

Something you can try.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

iCloud Drive - Unable to turn on "Desktop & Documents Folders"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.