Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12.1 update messed up photo folders

Updated iPhone with 12.1 then did a sync with my MacBookPro. In my Mac, photos are organized into folders. In the past, folders for photos used to sync onto the iPhone, but now they are grouped by years, or can search by key words, but I want to use the folders I had before the update and sync.

How can I get my photos on my iPhone into folders that match what is on my Mac like it was before I did the update and sync?

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 3:56 PM

Thank you for your assistance. The problem is finally solved. I had updated my iPhone IOS software, but not my Mac software. When I called Apple Tech Support, they determined that I did not have the latest versions of Photo, iTunes or IOS. So after I downloaded all the latest updates, including to new Mojave for my MacBook Pro, and then unchecked sync photos, re-check and include specific albums (and then check all the albums), they were immediately restored on both my iPhone and iPad.

So the real problem was version compatibility, but now that everything is updated it is working.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2018 3:56 PM in response to singh49asda

Thank you for your assistance. The problem is finally solved. I had updated my iPhone IOS software, but not my Mac software. When I called Apple Tech Support, they determined that I did not have the latest versions of Photo, iTunes or IOS. So after I downloaded all the latest updates, including to new Mojave for my MacBook Pro, and then unchecked sync photos, re-check and include specific albums (and then check all the albums), they were immediately restored on both my iPhone and iPad.

So the real problem was version compatibility, but now that everything is updated it is working.

Nov 22, 2018 10:58 AM in response to singh49asda

Thank you for your kind reply. I use iCloud to sync calendar, address book and messages, but NOT photos (mostly because I don’t want every picture I take to automatically go to my Mac).

I updated my iPhone to new OS 12.1.
Then I opened iTunes, and did a sync the way I always have before.

But now it no longer has my photos organized in the folder structure that I have on my Mac.

Can you help me figure out what I did wrong and how I can get my folder structure back?

I am not very tech savvy, but I have used Macs since 1985 and iPhone since 2007.

Again, thank you.

Nov 22, 2018 12:34 PM in response to singh49asda

You are telling me that iTunes will preserve the folder structure and iCloud will not.

I want to preserve the same folder structure on my iPhone as I have on my Mac.

I do not have Photos linked to iCloud (only calendar, address book, notes, messages).

After I did the 12.1 update, I manually synced the iPhone. I opened iTunes and plugged the iPhone into the Mac.

When I was done, I no longer had the folder structure on my iPhone, and I am trying to get it back.

It seems you are saying that if I used iTunes (which I did), I should have preserved the folder structure. But that is what I did — I did use iTunes (iCloud is disabled for Photos) — and I lost my folder structure on the iPhone. This seems to be the opposite of what you are telling me.

Again, I am a long-time user of Mac and iPhone, but not very tech savvy. I am trying to understand this and figure out what I did wrong and how to get the folder structure back and I did use iTunes only, not iCloud.

iPhone 12.1 update messed up photo folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.