Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mandatory subscription apple music for synching libraries

I am fond of music. Many years back I have ripped a large part of my hard copy CD collection. I was able to stream this in my car from any apple device for many years thereafter without any issue. Recently I couldn’t stream certain songs I wanted to listen to on spotify, so I looked on my iphone’s itunes library for the song spotify did not have. It wasn’t there.. So after some research, I checked my macbook (all music was on there), verified that I had sufficient storage space on my iphone and checked all boxes to copy/stream my entire (original and paid for!) itunes library, but it did not work! I had to buy a n apple music subscription to enable this full sync function between my Macbook library and my iphone.

Only untill recently it did not really occur to me that this is a pretty wrong way of conducting business by our friends from Apple. I am hooked on their products, but feel screwed for suddenly having to pay an annual fee to have services on my two multi thousand euro costing devices that I was always enjoying for free.

@Apple please set me straight here or give me some reasonable advice

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 2:12 PM

Syncing libraries automatically through the cloud requires activation of the iCloud Music Library, which is available either with Apple Music subscription or with iTunes Match subscription.

For other options, you will have to sync manually, connecting to iTunes and syncing the tracks that you want to sync.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2018 2:12 PM in response to Edgarvde

Syncing libraries automatically through the cloud requires activation of the iCloud Music Library, which is available either with Apple Music subscription or with iTunes Match subscription.

For other options, you will have to sync manually, connecting to iTunes and syncing the tracks that you want to sync.

Nov 23, 2018 6:53 AM in response to Edgarvde

but feel screwed for suddenly having to pay an annual fee to have services on my two multi thousand euro costing devices that I was always enjoying for free.

The fee for iTunes Match is only $25 per year and covers the extra storage space now available for your library, ie 100,000 tracks, plus the streaming service provided with the iCloud Music Library.

Those are net new features to you. You did not enjoy them for free from Apple previously.

For $10 per month, you get that plus access to all current music on Apple Music.

Mandatory subscription apple music for synching libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.