Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I buy a HomePod or two, is it easy to ask Siri to play a specific song/mix, album and/or playlist I've uploaded to iTunes from my CD collection?

I'm seriously considering buying a HomePod or two today but I don't have Apple Music or Pandora, etc., and I don't particularly want them.

The benefit to me would be to be able to ask it hands-free, from across the room, in bed, etc., to play particular esoteric tracks I've collected over the years, rather than to have to drop everything and go over and touch my keyboard or pick up my iPhone and log in and pull up the app and scroll through the menus and click on the tracks, etc.

I should note that my iTunes collection is on my iMac and only some of it is on my iPhone at any given time.

Thanks!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5), 27-inch, 1 TB, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 2:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 4:03 PM

Sorry, I've confused things by bringing in a tangential detail. HomePod can play audio content directly from your purchase history, or your iCloud Music Library if you have iTunes Match or Apple Music. This would be fetched over Wi-Fi and router directly from Apple's servers making it independent of whatever other Apple devices you happen to have running iTunes at the time. HomePod can also play podcasts natively. It can AirPlay any audio content you have in your iTunes Library whether or not you have iTunes Match or Apple Music, again over Wi-Fi. Macs can also route their audio out to HomePod, although currently not as a stereo pair. There is a lag of about 2 seconds which doesn't matter for music, but does matter with video or live output from something like GarageBand.

tt2

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2018 4:03 PM in response to Jordan T

Sorry, I've confused things by bringing in a tangential detail. HomePod can play audio content directly from your purchase history, or your iCloud Music Library if you have iTunes Match or Apple Music. This would be fetched over Wi-Fi and router directly from Apple's servers making it independent of whatever other Apple devices you happen to have running iTunes at the time. HomePod can also play podcasts natively. It can AirPlay any audio content you have in your iTunes Library whether or not you have iTunes Match or Apple Music, again over Wi-Fi. Macs can also route their audio out to HomePod, although currently not as a stereo pair. There is a lag of about 2 seconds which doesn't matter for music, but does matter with video or live output from something like GarageBand.

tt2

Nov 23, 2018 1:49 PM in response to Jordan T

Yes, adding iTunes Match or Apple Music extends Siri's capabilites on the HomePod. (Scroll to the bottom of the Music page in the iTunes Store to see the hidden link for iTunes Match.) Apple Music adds the ability to play things you don't already have. See Remote control for HomePod, not using AirPlay for ways to get HomePod to play difficult to call up content. I think Siri still has a way to go, but it can play song X from playlist Y, which I usually have to do on my iPhone because I'm not paying to stream my content over cellular.

tt2

Nov 27, 2018 8:33 PM in response to Jordan T

There were complaints about this when the Homepod first came out:

No Home Sharing with HomePod

HomePod and Home Sharing

Many of us were hoping Airplay2 or a Homepod software update would fix it but no luck!

There have also been many complaints about iTunes Match - missing or substituted songs and such. And iCloud Music (where supposedly your iTunes library is made available to other devices) has also been a disappointment. For example it messed up all my playlists and has missing or substituted songs - I stupidly clicked OK one time when I wanted to save an album to my local library and found I had activated iCloud Music.

The Homepod is clearly intended to fulfil Apple's dream of everyone subscribing to Apple Music and not sourcing music from elsewhere. I am happy with my Apple Music subscription and it gives me a huge catalogue for playing on the Homepod but I also like to play music that is not available online. I can only readily do that by playing to stereo Homepods from iTunes on a Mac.

Nov 23, 2018 1:01 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm not sure I understand "You can AirPlay from any other source however." The source for a song I want to play hands-free at a whim is iTunes. Are you saying that the HomePod speaker will play any track I ask it to from my whole iTunes library on my iMac? If so, what are the drawbacks of AirPlay on HomePod—is there a lesser sound quality or a delay or something like that? Because I'm not sure I understand the distinction.

Thanks for your response.

Nov 23, 2018 1:38 PM in response to Jordan T

HomePod can play anything in your library, you just cannot use HomePod's Siri to do it. You would have to trek over to the computer to choose. If your taste runs to esoteric and eclectic then you'd probably find this necessary sometimes as there is a limit to Siri's abilities. Getting just the right version of a soundtrack album can be tricky for example, or calling up anything with a title in a different language. Quality is the same.

tt2

Nov 23, 2018 1:38 PM in response to turingtest2

Can I use Siri from an iPad or iPhone or Apple Watch to play the song on the HomePod? Or would HomePod Siri insist on being the one that answers me and not let the iPad Siri do it?

This morning I asked Siri on my iPad to play Artist X's "Y" and it started playing a different whole album from that artist. So after breakfast I tried the other way around, asking Siri to play "Y" by Artist X and yes, Siri got it right that time! Which is fine with me, it certainly makes sense to put the song first and the artist second.

But yeah, in that case it was just a straightforward esoteric song (that's not on the iTunes store, for example, and out of print), but I wonder about whether I'm going to remember the mix name of the one mix I really liked out of the 10 or 20 mixes I just uploaded, or when the same artist has re-recorded the song and stuff like that.

Can you ask it to "Play the version of 'A' from soundtrack B THAT HAS FIVE STARS" or "Play the remix of 'Y' by Artist X THAT I ADDED TO A PLAYLIST" if, for example, I can't remember the playlist name but I know I threw the track into a playlist at some point.

For that matter, if I were to get iTunes match—for some reason I can't see where to find that and how much it costs—or Apple Music, then are Siri's abilities (leaving aside my own) improved on HomePod, or in these circumstances would they just get in the way anyway?

I was waiting until Apple introduced the stereo sync feature which they have, and I really want to get this, but I already have Siri almost everywhere I go on the Watch and in those circumstances the watch is off (in bed, getting out of the shower) the phone is nearby.

Calling out songs I've collected over the years, including esoteric ones that are my most hard-won favorites, hands-free on a good speaker, is my primary use case for this...

Nov 23, 2018 3:22 PM in response to turingtest2

I had assumed HomePod would access music from my iMac on WiFi, but do I understand you to be saying that whether or not you have Apple Music or iTunes Match the HomePod is using cellular data? If I get a HomePod, do I need to activate a line with my carrier like I did with the watch and the iPad? (Worse, if I get two, do I need two lines?!)

Now, my iMac has Siri, and isn’t using up cellular data, but I never think to use the iMac Siri because almost all of the time when I'm at my desk I've got the watch on (and the phone nearby). If all the other devices draw on your cellular data plan, is there a way to set the iMac's Siri to on even when the Mac is asleep, like the iPhone or the iWatch, and then have the iMac be the one that's directing the track via WiFi to the HomePod so that I'm not paying for another cellular line or using my cellular data plan?

Nov 23, 2018 4:15 PM in response to turingtest2

Ah, yes, I do have Logic Pro X and I had suspected that.

Thank you, you've really been helpful.

I just had a quick chat with an Apple rep as well who confirmed I didn't have to pay for any cellular connection like I did with the iPad and the Phone, that the HomeKit pairs with the iPhone for those purposes, so I do think I'm going to get this and once they're here I'll probably try them on their own for a few weeks to see how I like that and then give the 3-month trial of Apple Music a go.

Just out of curiosity, the thread you linked to you said you were then on the free Apple Music trial; did you elect to continue your subscription, or did you let it expire?

Nov 25, 2018 12:17 AM in response to Jordan T

Just to add to turingtest2's advice, here is a summary of my experience with Homepods, Macs and iPhones/iPads...

Mac running Mojave on same wifi network as Homepod(s) - use iTunes to play any music in your Macs library to a pair of Homepods that are set up for stereo. If you have an Apple Music subscription you can also use iTuneson the Mac to play to stereo Homepods from Apple Music. I use this setup most of the time.

Other apps on the Mac are unlikely to be able to play to stereo Homepods - but they can play to one of them. Many of us are all waiting for Apple to fix this "oversight"

iPhones/iPads on the same wifi network as Homepod(s) - use Airplay2 to play any music on the iPhone/iPad to stereo Homepods. This includes Apple Music if you have a subscription

Siri on Homepod will play Apple Music (subscription) and do reasonably intelligent searches for songs/artists/albums available from Apple Music. Homepod Siri does not know about anything in your iTunes library (on Mac) or on iPhone/iPad (i.e. Homesharing does not work with Homepods - grrr!). All it can do is pause/skip tracks and change volume once you have started playing music to the Homepod(s) from a Mac or iPhone/iPad.

So in my experience Homepod Siri is extremely limited without an Apple Music subscription.

Nov 25, 2018 1:15 AM in response to Michael Paine

Aaargh!

I had just got home from picking up my one HomePod (they didn't have two in stock at my local reseller, and couldn't order one) and I sat down at my computer and the message that a new answer was posted here chimed in.

Siri on HomePod "does not know about anything in your iTunes library on Mac or iPhone/iPad"?!

I was writing earlier, that was my primary use case for getting a HomePod, to be able to ask Siri to play any song, album or playlist in my iTunes library, in particular those esoteric songs and rare mixes I've spent decades tracking down, paying for, and uploading myself from CD.

turingtest 2 wrote, "I think Siri still has a way to go, but it can play song X from playlist Y" from iTunes on the HomePod. Is this not accurate? Because he also wrote the seemingly contradictory, "HomePod can play anything in your library, you just cannot use HomePod's Siri to do it."

Are you guys saying that you can ask Siri to play the song but it's Siri on your iPhone or iPad that's doing it and not Siri on your HomePod?

It makes absolutely no sense that I can ask Siri on my iPad to play a song and it will, but I can't ask Siri on my Apple smart speaker to play a song! Six microphones on the HomePod but I can't ask it the same obvious function of playing a particular track, album or playlist that I can do on an iPad?! Is there some technical limitation to the HomePod or some other rationale for this?

I would be better off getting regular (not-smart) speakers, and plugging them into the iPad then, no?

I was intending to order a second HomePod on Monday (from Apple with their $50 bonus) for stereo and/or dual-room use. Now I'm half-considering taking the one I got back.

Please somebody tell me and Michael that he's wrong.

If I buy a HomePod or two, is it easy to ask Siri to play a specific song/mix, album and/or playlist I've uploaded to iTunes from my CD collection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.