Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID and two factor authentication

Hi,

I have just updated a couple of the work devices and with the update accidentally or tricked into signing up to two factor authentication. I had this once before thinking it was more secure for the devices (as this is what I was told by the continual pop ups on the devices) but didn't realise that anyone with the passcode to get into the device could change all the apple id setting and passwords etc... it took many many frustrating hours with multiple phone calls and visits to apple stores to get this fixed as the employee left the week he changed it and would not cooperate with changing back.

So now I find out that you can't turn this off anymore and I am stuck with it. How do I secure the devices and use find my ipad/iphone with the staff and clients that use my devices now? there is no business account and if I give to people without locking it to an icloud account they will add their own and I will not be able to delete to reissue to someone else?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted on Nov 24, 2018 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2018 5:52 AM

If you are using Apple ID created with secondary authentication and in your Mac you enter in the location system preferences , click on iCloud it will prompt to enter Apple ID and password , under security section you turn on 2FA .

An immediate mail will be received in your IMAP account , and you disable the 2FA within the time period of 14 days or immediately .

Again in system preferences - iCloud under keychain an error will be shown waiting for approval from other device having an exclamation mark .

And if you want to remove this error and again set up the iCloud Keychain and then plan to use your old secondary authentication Apple ID , see these steps .

( a ) Use an iOS device and sign in with same Apple ID and password that is used in your Mac .

( b ) In your iOS device go to settings - iCloud - open keychain - click on advanced two options will be shown .

Reset code and reset iCloud Keychain , so click on reset iCloud Keychain .

( c ) A verification code will appear on your mobile number through sms and it will prompt to generate a code , you have to think any desired number and fill up in the field , so keychain will set up in iOS device .Write down this code in a safe place .

( d ) Now come to your Mac and open system preferences , click on iCloud the box of keychain is unchecked , so tap the keychain box , it will show waiting for approval click on option button it will prompt to register with passcode enter the passcode that you generated in your iOS device and click on confirm .

( e ) Again in your iOS device a pop up will appear showing approve or deny for your name and your Mac name say Mac book air or what ever Mac you are using and stating allow to approve for keychain , so click on allow .

( f ) So the waiting for approval from other device will be vanished .

( g ) In your Mac again click on option button in front of keychain , it will prompt to enter your trusted number an sms will come to your mobile having a verification code in it , so enter it your trusted mobile will be saved and visible .

Now , your iCloud keychain is set up from the server end and the Apple ID you are using is set with secondary authentication ( in which questions and answers for Apple ID are created ) and your 2FA is turned off .

Note : Suppose you have not followed this method for removing an error waiting for approval from other device and you think that erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the os or performing an archive installation , it will not help as this is the issue of iCloud Keychain from server end and not from your hardware of Mac .

Note : this method is applicable before 14 days , after 14 th day the 2FA will be permanent .

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2018 5:52 AM in response to jascon

If you are using Apple ID created with secondary authentication and in your Mac you enter in the location system preferences , click on iCloud it will prompt to enter Apple ID and password , under security section you turn on 2FA .

An immediate mail will be received in your IMAP account , and you disable the 2FA within the time period of 14 days or immediately .

Again in system preferences - iCloud under keychain an error will be shown waiting for approval from other device having an exclamation mark .

And if you want to remove this error and again set up the iCloud Keychain and then plan to use your old secondary authentication Apple ID , see these steps .

( a ) Use an iOS device and sign in with same Apple ID and password that is used in your Mac .

( b ) In your iOS device go to settings - iCloud - open keychain - click on advanced two options will be shown .

Reset code and reset iCloud Keychain , so click on reset iCloud Keychain .

( c ) A verification code will appear on your mobile number through sms and it will prompt to generate a code , you have to think any desired number and fill up in the field , so keychain will set up in iOS device .Write down this code in a safe place .

( d ) Now come to your Mac and open system preferences , click on iCloud the box of keychain is unchecked , so tap the keychain box , it will show waiting for approval click on option button it will prompt to register with passcode enter the passcode that you generated in your iOS device and click on confirm .

( e ) Again in your iOS device a pop up will appear showing approve or deny for your name and your Mac name say Mac book air or what ever Mac you are using and stating allow to approve for keychain , so click on allow .

( f ) So the waiting for approval from other device will be vanished .

( g ) In your Mac again click on option button in front of keychain , it will prompt to enter your trusted number an sms will come to your mobile having a verification code in it , so enter it your trusted mobile will be saved and visible .

Now , your iCloud keychain is set up from the server end and the Apple ID you are using is set with secondary authentication ( in which questions and answers for Apple ID are created ) and your 2FA is turned off .

Note : Suppose you have not followed this method for removing an error waiting for approval from other device and you think that erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the os or performing an archive installation , it will not help as this is the issue of iCloud Keychain from server end and not from your hardware of Mac .

Note : this method is applicable before 14 days , after 14 th day the 2FA will be permanent .

Nov 24, 2018 6:02 AM in response to jascon

If I understand what you want, try creating an Apple ID (or more if desired) that you use for all your business devices. Sign into iCloud using that ID. Set it up so that the 2 Factor Authentication code is sent to telephone numbers you control. If a client wants to make a change, they will need to get the verification code from you. That should lock the accounts to you.

Apple ID and two factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.