Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erase and reinstall OS X , mid 2010 mac mini.

I want to give my 2010 mac mini to a friend. I want to erase and reinstall Sierra or High Sierra. However after many many unsuccessful attempts ... keep getting OS X cannot be installed because the disk could not be unmounted. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 24, 2018 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 10:16 PM

When using Internet Recovery, did you choose "Disk Utility" from the macOS Utilities dialog and erase the hard disk before trying to install?

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.
  • Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2018 10:16 PM in response to mylesvk

When using Internet Recovery, did you choose "Disk Utility" from the macOS Utilities dialog and erase the hard disk before trying to install?

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.
  • Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.

Nov 24, 2018 11:21 AM in response to mylesvk

Have you used Internet Recovery to erase your disk and install an OS?

Restart using one of the following methods:

Command+Option+R will install the most current version of operating system your Mac qualifies for (e.g. High Sierra)

Shift+Command+Option+R will install the version of operating system your Mac shipped with (e.g. OS X Lion).

Nov 24, 2018 2:35 PM in response to keg55

Yes. thankyou for responding. Yes I tried Internet Recovery. Downloaded and was installing High Sierra, and with 17 seconds remaining on the install .... boom ... I was hit with the" unable to install High Sierra because the Disk could not be Un Mounted ". Remember no matter what disk I highlight it will not allow me to erase my HD for a new clean install.

HELP.

erase and reinstall OS X , mid 2010 mac mini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.