Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi signal strong, but ATV 4K keeps dropping

Hi all,

I’ve had my Apple TV 4K for a long time, more than a year, and I’ve been plagued with this problem. The “settings” shows that the wi-fi signal is strong (5 dots), but the streaming movies, TV, sports, etc., are constantly freezing and dropping — every few minutes. I’ve tried every reset, re-start imaginable, and I have a wi-fi repeater half-way between the router and the ATV. I’m at a loss. Any ideas? All suggestions welcome. Thank you.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 24, 2018 1:53 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 24, 2018 9:30 PM in response to MarkPek

The signal shown on the device does not account for issues. You would need a diagnostic report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. This would show accurate signal strength along with noise and nearby networks.

Apple TV also doesn’t work well with repeaters/extenders.

Also use speedtest app to verify current connection and make sure DNS is set to auto (settings-network)

Nov 26, 2018 9:25 AM in response to vazandrew

Thank you. The Apple TV got something like 60Mbps on "Speedtest." Does your answer mean, in general, that the Apple TV needs to be near my router (which isn't really possible in my case)? What's the best solution for an Apple TV that isn't very close to the router (and doesn't involve unsightly cables running through the house)?

Nov 26, 2018 9:50 AM in response to MarkPek

The greater the distance is from the router the more chance you will encounter issues like interference. Other factors will include the amount of other wifi devices in the area, other appliances running on the same frequency (i.e. bluetooth, cordless phone, microwave etc), placement of Apple TV (i.e. close to or on top of other devices, in an enclosed space), other networks using the same channel.

The diagnostic report will give a better idea of how the network is doing, the only thing it can't account for is those appliances.

Nov 27, 2018 5:10 PM in response to vazandrew

Huh. I don’t know. If I place my iPad or iPhone in the same spot, at the same time, as the Apple TV, the iPad or iPhone gets a robust, strong, and uninterrupted signal. The Apple TV’s signal, on the other hand drops, weakens, strengthens and wobbles all over the place. Is the Apple TV weaker at picking up and holding the signal? None of my family’s 15-20 other devices (yes, really) experience this. Only the Apple TV. Does anyone know why this might be the case?

Wi-fi signal strong, but ATV 4K keeps dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.