Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete the "Music" app on my phone, will the songs still be on my laptop?

Even though this may not be great to say on the apple website, I rarely use the designated "Music" app that comes with an iPhone and have been exclusively using Spotify. When I made the switch I kept the songs in my library because some I do not want to delete, but overtime it has become a trend where I am almost always using about 95% of the phone's storage, so I am debating just deleting the app from the phone considering that is now an option. That being said, I do not want to delete my entire music library in case I ever want those songs again **(none of these songs are on Apple Music because I have never used that. All were purchased or downloaded as mp3 files)**. Which brings me to my question: If I do end up deleting the music app from my phone, will my entire music library be deleted with it, or will they still accessible in the iTunes on my MacBook?

iPhone 7, iOS 12.1, null

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 9:04 AM

• If you have no Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription, then the the libraries on your iPhone and notebook are not linked to sync automatically through the internet (iCloud Music Library). Without that, making changes on one device is not reflected on the other device.
  • You can erase iOS music files without deleting the Music app. Settings﹥General﹥iPhone Storage﹥Music﹥Edit (All Songs/by Artist/by Album/by Song).
  • You can erase the iOS Music app, and that also erases the associated media files. (You can re-install it as new from the App Store, if you change your mind.)
  • You can backup the music files on your notebook, to keep them safe. [The default location is ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/ (where ‘~’ symbolizes your Home directory). Just make a copy elsewhere.]
  • iTunes syncing is a one-way transfer. Changes on the target device are ignored, other than checking for existing tracks to skip in the copying process.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2018 9:04 AM in response to short-on-data

• If you have no Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription, then the the libraries on your iPhone and notebook are not linked to sync automatically through the internet (iCloud Music Library). Without that, making changes on one device is not reflected on the other device.
  • You can erase iOS music files without deleting the Music app. Settings﹥General﹥iPhone Storage﹥Music﹥Edit (All Songs/by Artist/by Album/by Song).
  • You can erase the iOS Music app, and that also erases the associated media files. (You can re-install it as new from the App Store, if you change your mind.)
  • You can backup the music files on your notebook, to keep them safe. [The default location is ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/ (where ‘~’ symbolizes your Home directory). Just make a copy elsewhere.]
  • iTunes syncing is a one-way transfer. Changes on the target device are ignored, other than checking for existing tracks to skip in the copying process.

Nov 26, 2018 2:18 PM in response to Urquhart1244

All of the songs on my phone are backed up to my computer already. I connect my phone to my computer daily and it syncs every time. Most recent time synced was this morning. Does this help? I am not trying to delete the songs from my iTunes library on my computer. I'm just trying to free up space on my phone. Will the songs be safe on my computer?

If I delete the "Music" app on my phone, will the songs still be on my laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.