Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire 800 to USB adaptor?

- -

Hi!

I have an old GDrive external hard drive with two Firewire 800 ports and one USB port:

https://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/2774888-b.jpg

The USB port is broken, so I have to use the Firewire ports.

I know Firewire>Thunderbolt adaptors exist, but I would prefer a Firewire>USB adaptor, and I can't seem to find any.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks!

Chris.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 7:36 AM

8 replies

Nov 28, 2018 9:07 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

I have a Firewire 800 to Firewire 800 cable, but the iMacs where I work don't have Firewire ports: only Thunderbolt ports and USB ports.

I don't want to use a Firewire>Thunderbolt adaptor because 1) the ports are not easy to reach at the back of the computer, so b) I use a multi-USB port for all my peripherals.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2018 1:56 PM in response to Krissserz

Firewire to USB adapters that have existed have exhibited very poor performance.

The only options that are really viable

are

USB-C to Thunderbolt 2

Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800

Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 or earlier.

Firewire 800 to Firewire 400.

Macs with only a Displayport connection can't use Thunderbolt for data transfer.

Damaged ports may be indicative of CMOS batteries that need replacement. Some Macs only have a CMOS capacitor.

Have a certified tech determine which one you may have. Or lookup your machine on http://www.ifixit.com/ if out of warranty and legacy.

Dec 3, 2018 8:41 AM in response to a brody

Thanks!

But once again:

I have an old GDrive external hard drive with two Firewire 800 ports and one USB port: https://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/2774888-b.jpg

The USB port is broken, so I have to use the Firewire 800 ports.

I know Firewire 800>Thunderbolt adaptors exist, but I would prefer a Firewire 800>USB adaptor because the Thunderbolt ports are not easy to reach at the back of the computer, so I use a multi-USB port for all my peripherals.

Where can I find a Firewire 800>USB adaptor?

Thanks again!

Dec 3, 2018 9:05 AM in response to Krissserz

There are Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters around.

I'm not aware of FireWire to Thunderbolt, nor of FireWire to USB.

Thunderbolt is a way to extend a PCIe bus out of a computer, and there's no way that FireWire can provide anything close to that. FireWire to USB might be able to map the host FireWire traffic to specific USB devices, but that'll be a project. And FireWire is much slower than is USB-3, so there'll be performance discussions and potentially performance issues there.

Pragmatically, you'll probably be able to double or triple the storage capacity of that existing G-DRIVE storage box with a replacement USB-3 storage device and for not much more than the cost of the necessary adapters, assuming that you can find or can build what you're looking for.

Last I checked, a couple of terabytes of USB-3 HDD storage was well under US$100. A couple of Apple adapters in a dongle chain necessary to reach that G-DRIVE would put you up in that same price range.

As for the existence of any FireWire adapters beyond what's available, FireWire host ports and FireWire device ports are getting scarce. If you can use or can add a FireWire host port to a system as is possible on a few older Macs, then the PCIe or PCI-X bus can usually support other I/O adapters internally. Or externally on most (all?) Thunderbolt-equipped Macs, via the Thunderbolt connection and an external PCIe or PCI-x cage, and install PCIe or PCI-X adapters in that cage. Though that external PCIe or PCI-X cage will not be cheap.

And if there's a specific hardware requirement for that existing G-DRIVE storage, then scrounging a non-broken G-DRIVE enclosure and swapping parts around to get that USB working is probably going to be more expeditious than scrounging or building a path for that FireWire-based approach, too.

Firewire 800 to USB adaptor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.