Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer 'filter failed' in Mojave

Upgraded to Mojave and my HP LaserJet CP1025nw printer never works.

Reset printer system several times and reinstall HP printer driver v5.1 pack, but no luck.

It's always got 'filter failed' when printing doc/photo files with Preview app.

Finally I found it's APPLE's problems and not HP's driver issues.

'Preview' app can't print PDF files and 'Foxit Reader' app can print PDF successfully.

Hope Apple can check this issue and fix it as soon as possible. Thanks.

macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 12:39 AM

Hi, I have the same problem. I also tried to reset the drivers and updated the printer firmware but no success. We have two different macs, both kept up to date, and the error came on both macs at the same time. Both are completely up to date (latest Mojave OS) so probably this came with an upgrade. I tried printing directly from Safari as well as a PDF.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2018 12:39 AM in response to dereklai

Hi, I have the same problem. I also tried to reset the drivers and updated the printer firmware but no success. We have two different macs, both kept up to date, and the error came on both macs at the same time. Both are completely up to date (latest Mojave OS) so probably this came with an upgrade. I tried printing directly from Safari as well as a PDF.

Dec 14, 2018 7:30 AM in response to Missleton

I have the same issue with Mojave and my Brother HlL-3070CW. Worked fine until upgrade to Mojave. I can print thru Word, but any Mac Program (Preview, Safari) that I try to print from ends with "filter failed". Talked to Apple Support and they suggested updating Mojave to 10.14.2, which I did and issue persisted. Seems like every time I call them now they tell me to format my computer (which I have done twice in the past two months in an attempt to fix ongoing Bose bluetooth headphone dropouts. So much for technical support. Printer does work if I make no adjustments to the printer features in the print dialog box, but if I attempt to upgrade printing to Vivid, or enhance black printing, etc, it's over. Love Dark Mode in Mojave, but printer disability is a major bummer. :(

Mar 28, 2019 2:18 PM in response to David Wrather

I just printed my first complete print since upgrading to Mojave. This is what I did this time:

1. I reset the printing system by right clicking on an empty area in the printers list in the printer & scanner prefs
  2. I ran the uninstaller from the epson support website for my printer
  3. I searched for and deleted everything I could find with Epson in the file name.
  4. I restarted in recovery (command R on restart) and reinstalled Mojave (now 10.14.4) approx. 40 minutes fyi
  5. I installed the driver only from the Epson website and added the printer using bonjour
  6. In the sharing preferences I changed the name of my computer and copied the new name (the one with the dashes that ends in ".local")
  7. I clicked on the new printer and then on options and supplies in the printers & scanners pref and pasted the new computer name in the location field.
  8. It worked (for now, crossing fingers)

Apr 30, 2019 2:07 PM in response to wildie1

This is what I did and it has worked for over a month:

1. search for and delete all files that include "epson" in the name.
  2. right click on the printer list in the system preferences then reset printing system
  3. reinstall of Mojave 10.14.4 or latest from recovery mode
  4. reinstall epson driver from a new download
  5. add the printer
  6. under sharing find your computer name. if there is none then add one and copy the hyphenated version in small font below the field. if there is one in the field, change it and then copy hyphenated version.
  7. go back to your printer and click options and supplies
  8. In the General tab paste your computer name in the location field
  9. Click on the options tab and set processed by printer to off, and set bidirectional communication to off - click ok
  10. As a habit since then I have been command-shift-copying layered files and pasting them into a new file to print from and not exceeding 300 dpi at 100 percent print size for the file. No extra resolution.
  11. Let us know how it goes if you try this

May 25, 2019 5:06 AM in response to RmACK 123

Well, I'm quite disappointed; to be honest. I've tried Preview and it worked. But Acrobat is crucial for me as I'm used to print mainly from it especially in booklet mode. Unfortunately I'm surrounded by cheap printers which RIPs (if present) are extremely slow. Acrobat is much faster and more reliable in this.

I have Canon i-SENSYS MF633CDW small office multifunction laser printer connected over WiFi. I've tried everything:

• reseting printing subsystem,
  • re-installing Canon drivers and even
  • upgrading printer firmware.

After the macOS 10.14.5 upgrade I found that Acrobat now sees the scanner which it didn't in past. Maybe there has been a hidden update from Adobe. There is lot of going on under-the-hood. The Adobe Desktop is constantly doing some stuff internally. The only thing I have under control are other Creative Cloud applications except than Acrobat.

I've also realized that Canon has re-released the drivers! The version number is the same but the release date has changed and the checksum of the DMG differed as well.

I really don't know what's going on here.

Dec 28, 2018 11:26 PM in response to dereklai

I have the same problem with my HP laserjet CP1025 color, it is getting time too look around to other computers, Apple is losing and getting much to expensive and the quality is getting less. Using for over 13 years Apple products but really thinking to stop with the brand.

My Iphone 7plus, 2 years old and getting problems with the touch screen, my Iphone X getting problems with the screen after 3 months. It is too crazy for words, Apple really disappointing me.

Dec 29, 2018 11:16 AM in response to ZeGreatDane

Spoke with Applecare, and they said it is the fault of the printer companies, as they need to update their drivers better. Applecare said that all third party companies get Beta versions of any new OS software prior to the software release to the public, and it is up to them to update their own drivers so that they work with the new OS after it gets released to the public. On the flip side, Brother Tech Support said that if the printer works with Microsoft Word, and prints test pages correctly, and works with Google Chrome, that it is the fault of Apple, so both sides blame the other, and the consumer gets screwed in the middle. I will note that Messages program has errors in it as well after upgrade (can't block contacts from texting) and that an Apple program with defects running on Apple OS. Hard to blame 3rd party for that. Plus, the fact that the the filter failed error is only coming up on Apple programs (Safari, Preview, Mail) after updating Apple OS Mojave (and not on Chrome or Word or Photoshop), leads me to ultimately deduce that Apple is most likely the primary culprit. No one I know likes to update software given all the errors that occur as a result, and most wouldn't if they could get by without it. However, Apple forces you to update OS, by both software and hardware requirements. I agree with the comments below that while Apple Design has improved over the years, the actual reliability of the product is declining. My MacBook 12 (2015) looks and feels nice, but has been nothing but problems. I was denied AppleCare warranty purchase on a technicality, need a keyboard replacement, and have had to reformat the hard drive twice already at the instruction of Apple. My 3 year old iPhone 6s plus has already had a battery replacement. In the last two years, I have had to call Apple at least 20 times (and I am a skilled computer user compared to the average person, and look up everything I can before calling Tech Support). At least their phone support is free. There is that. Sadly, it is still the best computer on the market, and has a price tag to match. Perhaps Elon Musk should start building computers too!

Jan 21, 2019 9:14 AM in response to dereklai

Having very similar issues, however it's not related to just one printer. Things will be fine for several days, then suddenly none of my printers show up. This includes HP, DYMO, RICOH, Toshiba. I've reset the printing system countless times, added printers back and then for no reason I can determine, they go away again. Apple needs to divert some internal talent away from making things pretty, and back to functional.

Feb 22, 2019 1:57 PM in response to dereklai

I am having this issue on my Epson Sure Color P9000 only after upgrading to Mojave. I am printing large images and at some point before it's finished the print stops and I see the filter failed error in the printer job app. In my case it is only with large prints, as if it has to do with the size of the file. I have gone through rigorous uninstall and reinstall steps with no luck. Epson says it's Apple and they get the call regularly.

Mar 2, 2019 5:54 AM in response to dereklai

This is truly frustrating. Since doing the update to OS X 10.14.3, I cannot print to any of my printers either!! Like others, I have rest the priniting system and downloaded new drivers and firmwarre from the OEM of the printers (HP & RICOH), but still cannot print.

On my business RICOH I get the "filter failed" error and on the HP LaserJets, they just get Paused, but I cannot unpause them and get a print.

Come on Apple, get this fixed!

Mar 4, 2019 4:45 AM in response to David Wrather

I finally got my printer to once again print. Everyone writes to reinstall the printer after it's been deleted. I added my printer once again, but this time, for the drop down that says "use," I clicked on "auto select." As soon as I did that, my decade-old Brother printer hummed back to life and all is well again. Still, some help from Apple would have been nice.

Printer 'filter failed' in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.