Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL email not working in Mail on new iMac with Mojave

I just got a new iMac and installed Mojave. The setup all seemed to work except for the Mail, which I can't get my AOL email to work. I tried the connection doctor, but had no luck. I have an iPhone Xs and an older iPad, and the AOL mail works on those. I'm afraid to try to sync those with the new computer in case it would screw them up and I'd be without the Mail accounts on them. Has anyone had success getting the AOL mail to work with the new Mojave operating system? I also had some Cloud issues where it seemed to be stuck--could there be some cloud settings screwing up the AOL connection?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 6:56 PM

Hello wendyfromharrisburg!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that Mail on your new iMac is not able to connect with your AOL email account. Being able to access your email is very important, and I want to help you find a solution for this. You did a great job isolating the issue to your Mac by checking your other devices for the same problem, so let's try exploring a few more things.

iCloud would not have any affect on the functionality of your AOL email account. Here's a resource that explains what iCloud does: iCloud: What is iCloud?

If you haven't done so already, be sure to verify your settings on your Mac by using this tool: Apple - Mail Settings Lookup

Once you have verified all of your settings are correct, check to make sure that AOL does not require additional security verification for your new iMac as recommended in this article: If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password.

Kindest Regards.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2018 6:56 PM in response to wendyfromharrisburg

Hello wendyfromharrisburg!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that Mail on your new iMac is not able to connect with your AOL email account. Being able to access your email is very important, and I want to help you find a solution for this. You did a great job isolating the issue to your Mac by checking your other devices for the same problem, so let's try exploring a few more things.

iCloud would not have any affect on the functionality of your AOL email account. Here's a resource that explains what iCloud does: iCloud: What is iCloud?

If you haven't done so already, be sure to verify your settings on your Mac by using this tool: Apple - Mail Settings Lookup

Once you have verified all of your settings are correct, check to make sure that AOL does not require additional security verification for your new iMac as recommended in this article: If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password.

Kindest Regards.

Dec 1, 2018 10:10 AM in response to sterling r

The Mail Settings Lookup was not able to get AOL to work. I have gone to the AOL website to see if they could help, but they apparently will not give support unless you pay for it. This is ridiculous. I copied the settings for the AOL mail account from my iPad, which is working (I have the AOL app on it), and tried to plug those into the Mac Mail preferences, but it still doesn't work. I have not synched my iPhone Xs to the new iMac yet, because I am afraid it might try to synch by deleting my email from my phone instead of synching the email from the phone to the iMac. I'm totally afraid of screwing up my devices that are working to try to make this work. I used to have the AOL account showing with the offline lightning bolt showing on the iMac Mail window, but with what I was doing to try to make it work, the AOL account now is not showing in the Mail window, although it still is listed as an account in my preferences, along with an iCloud account that I don't want, but it seems to keep insisting I use iCloud. I have an external backup drive that I use as a Time Machine and don't want to have anything to do with iCloud.

Is there any solution out there for getting the AOL settings to work? The one thing I noticed on the AOL site is it said something about not being able to use IMAP and had to use POP. I tried to use these settings, but still no luck. It's really frustrating. Help!

AOL email not working in Mail on new iMac with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.