Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie thumbnails are black in Photos

I use Final Cut Pro 10 and iMovie 10 to produce my videos on a MacBook running High Sierra. Does anyone know how to get a thumbnail to appear for iMovies and FinalCut movies imported into Photos? They all show up as a black window (with duration) - VERY irritating, and tedious to find the one I want to play!

null-OTHER, iOS 10.1, Photos app

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 5:05 PM

O.K. I understand now. No, the Photos app is the place to be storing your videos. Either that or in a folder on your Mac or external drive.

In Photos you can set the poster frame that you want. Open Photos and double click on the video that is showing black. In the control box at the bottom of the video scroll to the frame that you want to set as the poster frame. Then click on the little button that looks like a gear wheel. In the drop down menu that appears select "Set Poster Frame". The frame that you scrolled to will be set as the poster frame of the vid and will display in your Photos library.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

-- Rich

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 5:05 PM in response to lindyhiker

O.K. I understand now. No, the Photos app is the place to be storing your videos. Either that or in a folder on your Mac or external drive.

In Photos you can set the poster frame that you want. Open Photos and double click on the video that is showing black. In the control box at the bottom of the video scroll to the frame that you want to set as the poster frame. Then click on the little button that looks like a gear wheel. In the drop down menu that appears select "Set Poster Frame". The frame that you scrolled to will be set as the poster frame of the vid and will display in your Photos library.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

-- Rich

Nov 30, 2018 11:59 AM in response to lindyhiker

Hi,

I take it that photos imported from Photos into iMovie are showing black. Is that correct?

Possibly the photos are from your iPhone and are in HEIF format, and that's causing the problem. If so, change the format to jpeg or, from your iPhone, select "most compatible" in settings and re-export.

Also, try lowering the resolution of the photo, exporting it out of Photos as a jpeg, and see if that makes them display properly. So, from Photos choose File/Export as a photo, and export to your desktop and then drag it into iMovie. You can lower the resolution in the Preview app on your Mac by opening the photo on your desktop, and selecting Tools/Adjust Size.

-- Rich

Dec 1, 2018 1:24 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

No, actually, this is for short (3-15 minute) videos I have produced and output with iMovie (or Final Cut Pro) as .mov, .m4v, or .mp4 formats. When I drop them into Photos, on all my devices the thumbnail appears as a black box with the duration only...no thumbnail image. Perhaps Apple TV will be better suited to store and view videos, particularly on my iOS devices, rather than Photos... I have not looked into that yet.

Thanks!

iMovie thumbnails are black in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.