Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't launch Disk Utility upon startup

I want to initialize my mac mini to factory settings and reinstall the OS.

I found a page on the Apple support site that indicates that I need to boot the mac, and press command+r to start the Disk Utility.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

I have only a Windows keyboard at home, so, immediately after depressing the mac mini hardware button, I press and hold the alt+r key combination.

Instead of the Disk Utility starting, the sign-in screen appears.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 1:19 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 30, 2018 1:46 PM in response to Kappy

I can't get past step #1 as no matter what combination of keys I press and hold, the sign-in screen appears after a couple of seconds.

I've ordered a true mac keyboard that will arrive Monday, so I'm hoping that will do the trick.

I've actually done this before, but it was on a MacBook Pro where the keyboard wasn't an issue in that case.

That's why I'm *guessing* this is a keyboard issue.

Nov 30, 2018 1:21 PM in response to t4sm5la4r

If your Mini isn't too old then try this:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (usually, the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note:

1. To install the version of OS X that was currently installed use Command-Option-R.

2. To install the original factory version when the computer was new use Command-Option-Shift-R.

Can't launch Disk Utility upon startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.