Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best way to further extend my home WiFi network?

I've got an Apple Extreme (AE) router and I bought a second AE on e-Bay to extend my WiFi in one direction (wirelessly, not through an ethernet connection). It seems to be working well but I've also got a dead spot on the opposite side of the house so I'd like to get an extender in that direction. I need to do this through a wireless connection as well and have a few questions about the best way to do this:

1. Are any of the non-Apple products compatible with the AE and would work here?

2. Could I use an Apple Express instead? Does the Airport Extreme offer any advantages as an extender compared to the Express?

3. Would I be better offer just getting a whole new system with a new router? However, I do like the AE since I'm not very network savvy and it seems user friendly.

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 6:50 PM

1. Are any of the non-Apple products compatible with the AE and would work here?

None that I could recommend. You can use any universal repeater.. but the results are no where near as good as sticking to one brand.

The exception is to use Powerline products. e.g. TP-Link AV1200 with any WAP at the other end.. it will be more expensive than another AE but could perform a lot better. There are also combined models with powerline plus wireless.

TL-WPA8630P KIT | AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit | TP-Link

I am assuming you are in the US but they are made with EU, UK, AUS, etc power sockets.

2. Could I use an Apple Express instead? Does the Airport Extreme offer any advantages as an extender compared to the Express?

If you currently have AC model extreme they are hugely superior to the Express for extending wireless.. better range, much faster wireless and full gigabit ports. Express has one big advantage.. airplay.. otherwise it is old N wireless, slower and poorer range and 10/100 ports.

3. Would I be better offer just getting a whole new system with a new router? However, I do like the AE since I'm not very network savvy and it seems user friendly.

If you have a pair of AC extremes.. then buy another one.. second hand they should go for $100.. at least where I live we get them for that price now. If you have a pair of Gen5 (A1408) or earlier or mixed versions.. tell us more. They are getting pretty old now.. since most would be at least 5-6 years old.. and you would be pressing your luck buying them. Still if you get them for $20 or so .. I would not pay more... then heck.. it is cheap enough even if it dies in a year.

If you had asked the question before already buying one more.. then I would have said consider a mesh system like Netgear Orbi. And certainly you are going to be up for a new system in a few years.. since Apple has given up producing routers. But you need a whole system replacement.. so outlay about $400.. well you never know in a few years time where things will be at.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2018 6:50 PM in response to rlplant

None that I could recommend. You can use any universal repeater.. but the results are no where near as good as sticking to one brand.

The exception is to use Powerline products. e.g. TP-Link AV1200 with any WAP at the other end.. it will be more expensive than another AE but could perform a lot better. There are also combined models with powerline plus wireless.

TL-WPA8630P KIT | AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit | TP-Link

I am assuming you are in the US but they are made with EU, UK, AUS, etc power sockets.

If you currently have AC model extreme they are hugely superior to the Express for extending wireless.. better range, much faster wireless and full gigabit ports. Express has one big advantage.. airplay.. otherwise it is old N wireless, slower and poorer range and 10/100 ports.

If you have a pair of AC extremes.. then buy another one.. second hand they should go for $100.. at least where I live we get them for that price now. If you have a pair of Gen5 (A1408) or earlier or mixed versions.. tell us more. They are getting pretty old now.. since most would be at least 5-6 years old.. and you would be pressing your luck buying them. Still if you get them for $20 or so .. I would not pay more... then heck.. it is cheap enough even if it dies in a year.

If you had asked the question before already buying one more.. then I would have said consider a mesh system like Netgear Orbi. And certainly you are going to be up for a new system in a few years.. since Apple has given up producing routers. But you need a whole system replacement.. so outlay about $400.. well you never know in a few years time where things will be at.

Nov 30, 2018 10:39 PM in response to rlplant

That is what I would do.

Placement when you use multiple extenders is crucial.. the extenders must have far better signal from the main airport than each other. Your description sounded like this would be the case..

And you don't put the extender in the bad wifi area.. you put it half way between the main Extreme and the bad area.. so it can pickup good signal as well as extend it.

The standard airport view shows more hidden details than you first imagine.

Run your mouse pointer over the connection.. which probably says unknown and see what the actual speed and signal is like. This is older model.. but you can see the popup which shows the actual link stats.. data rate and signal level.

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2018 10:56 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks very much for the info. I’ve been using Ookla’s Speedtest app to measure speeds and they are pretty slow in the distant portions of the house. The second AE helped on the other side.

By the way, do you know of any app that measures download speed over a longer time period than that of the common testing apps? With Speedtest I have noticed quite large variations in download speed when I run the test just a few minutes apart. I’d like to have any app that automatically tested over a longer time to help determine if my sluggish downloads are due to poor signal strength or to a problem with my ISP.

Dec 1, 2018 12:12 AM in response to rlplant

By the way, do you know of any app that measures download speed over a longer time period than that of the common testing apps? With Speedtest I have noticed quite large variations in download speed when I run the test just a few minutes apart. I’d like to have any app that automatically tested over a longer time to help determine if my sluggish downloads are due to poor signal strength or to a problem with my ISP.

Nothing comes to my mind..

A quick google.. nothing pokes me in the eye..

https://testmy.net/auto

Most of the older test software I used was for ADSL keeping track of the many problems that users face.. but it is not something you should experience on more recent cable or fibre systems.

Sometimes your ISP will do this kind of testing for you.. if you pay for a min rate and they are failing to provide it.. that would be failure of contractual obligations so they tend to pay attention.. otherwise you might stop paying them and move to another ISP.

But it is easy to do internal testing.

There is software I use which is the easy version of iperf which you can load onto any pc or mac.

Downloads - Wired and Wireless Network Analysis Software by TamoSoft

Free download for wlan throughput testing.. this will run continuously but is easy to start and stop.

Once you determine your own network performance is solid.. then any variation is more likely your ISP.

What's the best way to further extend my home WiFi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.