Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp fails to read Windows DVD

Hi!

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012 (non-retina) and I've been trying for weeks to get windows 10 installed.

First I successfully installed windows by bootable usb, but this resulted in no sound. I soon figured out that I have to install windows through BIOS by using superdrive to get everything to work, this is because my mac is old and UEFI (USB install) will fail to read soundcards and so on.

So then I burned a windows DVD, using UDF as type and x2 as burnrate. I dowloaded windows from their website, with 64bit only. It seems okay, because I can run windows fine by restarting and holding "option".

The problem is that when I restart and do the windows install manually (without bootcamp) and then choose the partition that I made; this is what I get: "The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"
Formatting it doesnt remove the error either.
I've also tried to format it to MS-FAT, exFAT in MacOS beforehand and I also tried GPT fdisk.

And when I try to use bootcamp it says: "Put in a USB or DVD with windows 10 to install"
So basically bootcamp fails to read my Windows DVD.

Is there a way around this? I've read that the bootcamp fixes this GPT error automatically by changing the partitions to hybrid MBR in the process. Is there a trick to make it hybrid MBR myself and that way bypass bootcamp?

MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 10:11 AM

The 2012 models support installation of Windows in BIOS mode using two different input media

• A USB2 Flash drive installed created by BC Assistant using a Microsoft ISO and BC drivers, or,
  • A Windows DVD and a USB2 Flash drive containing only BC drivers

The default is BIOS, unless you interrupt the installation process by using Alt/Option and manually select EFI. Be aware that USB3 disk or external USB HDDs will not work.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 10:11 AM in response to Maatsy

The 2012 models support installation of Windows in BIOS mode using two different input media

• A USB2 Flash drive installed created by BC Assistant using a Microsoft ISO and BC drivers, or,
  • A Windows DVD and a USB2 Flash drive containing only BC drivers

The default is BIOS, unless you interrupt the installation process by using Alt/Option and manually select EFI. Be aware that USB3 disk or external USB HDDs will not work.

Bootcamp fails to read Windows DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.