Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Voiceover

My content is from the 1940's and 1950's recorded on 16 mm movie film without sound, which I narrate using Record Voiceover (option-command-8). The Voiceover Recording track can't be edited like the timeline, e.g., it can't be 'bladed' to create a break. My workaround is to copy and paste the track to create a duplicate, then trim back from the end of the original track and trim forward from the beginning of the duplicated track until their ends align, at which point they will 'snap' together with a break between them.

There must be a better way ... what am I missing?

iMac Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), 128 GByte RAM, 4 TByte SSD, 18 core

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 12:12 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 2, 2018 9:30 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I've posted a screenshot of a clip from a 1950's home movie film that I am try to re-narrate. Notice that "Voiceover Recording 2" is already on the timeline ... that came from iMovie when I first started working with it. Notice the cut I've made in the center frame ... the "cut line" is just to the left of the skimmer.

The problem is that I can cut the video, but a I can't cut the audio ... when I position the skimmer, select the blade and click only the video is cut ... the "Voiceover Recording 2" audio timeline remains intact.

This isn't a major problem and there is a simple workaround, i.e., duplicate the audio timeline, trim forward to the video cut on one and trim backward to the video cut on the second until they snap ... voilá, one audio timeline with a cut to match the cut in the video!User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2018 1:19 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom ... trashing the preferences made no difference, but knowing that it can be cut like any audio file is useful. I select the audio track, drag the skimmer to where I want the cut to be made, select the blade tool and click, but nothing happens.

I'll continue to experiment and will report if I resolve this. Until I do I'll work around by the method I described.

The audio files were recorded over a decade ago as iMovie projects that were recently imported into FCPX. Not only can they not be cut like other audio files, but they have lost their waveforms, which indicates something else is wrong. Fortunately, they are still audible and since I was the narrator it may be simpler to re-record the narration!

Dec 1, 2018 1:37 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

My mistake, Tom ... although the iMovie projects were imported into FCPX with voiceover recordings made in iMovie I now want to edit those projects to combine them into something more polished, which necessitates cutting and splicing video and audio segments. I'll either use my workaround procedure to salvage my original audio or re-record voiceover if that's not practical.

The value is in the imagery recorded on 16 mm 'silent' movie film in the 1940s and 1950s ... not in what I say about it. Fortunately, the imagery survived iMovie unscathed and imported into FCPX without a hitch. I can't say the same about the reels of film, which had to be discarded as the film was decomposing!

Editing Voiceover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.