Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 won’t connect to iTunes 12.8?

I am currently running the latest version of iOS 12 on an iPhone 5s and running iTunes 12.8 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. When I plug in my iPhone to my Mac it isn’t displayed. I hit trust every time. Also, I just updated to El Capitan from Yosemite today if that makes any difference.

OS X 10.11.6

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), None

Posted on Dec 2, 2018 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2018 9:48 AM

I fixed this awhile back by simply downloading iTunes 12.8 off the Apple website and installing it. I did not have to delete my old version of iTunes 12.8 as the two seemed to just merge together. Next I restarted my Mac and connected my iPhone. Everything works fine now.

Thanks for responding.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2018 9:48 AM in response to Eric Root

I fixed this awhile back by simply downloading iTunes 12.8 off the Apple website and installing it. I did not have to delete my old version of iTunes 12.8 as the two seemed to just merge together. Next I restarted my Mac and connected my iPhone. Everything works fine now.

Thanks for responding.

Dec 2, 2018 7:18 PM in response to Guest_9

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Dec 2, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Eric Root

Unfortunately, that is no help to me. The device is definitely connected to the USB and connects to the Photos apps with no problem at all. My iPhone simply will not connect to iTunes so I cannot share/transfer songs from my Mac to my iPhone. It connects to every app except iTunes. I have iTunes 12.8 installed already so what is going wrong?

iOS 12 won’t connect to iTunes 12.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.