Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup of TP-link extender with Extreme

Hoping you guys can give me a simple breakdown on how to do this...

I'd like to improve wifi coverage on the other end of a building. My

5th Gen. Airport Extreme is the base station in my office. Important

work computers are ethernet-connected but I got a TP-Link AC1750

range extender to try and am fairly lost on the best way to configure it.

First off, if using one of these can diminish overall ISP speeds I don't want

to bother with it. Otherwise, since it has an ethernet port, my instinct is

to place it at the distant location outlet, and hardwire it to one of the E-net

ports on the Extreme. (Cabling is already in place to do it). Then what do

I do? Does it act like a repeater? I am trying to figure out how to set it up

this way but does this mean a user would need to select a separate TP-Link

network on a remote wifi computer, or does the device 'integrate' or mesh into the

existing wifi network originating from the Extreme. This is not quite as simple

as I'd hoped and I haven't found definitive instructions via TP Support info.

I can see where it might be 'plug and play' if simply plugging this device in and

having it join the network, but i'd think connecting it via ethernet to the Extreme

would not degrade the networks overall signal. Just rather lost on how exactly

to configure it if that is the best route to take.

Thanks as always for any advice,

Mike

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 5:30 PM

to bother with it

If the TP-Link will wirelessly extend the signal, then it is typical for extenders to reduce the maximum potential speed on the network by half or more.

If the TP-Link device will connect back to the AirPort Extreme using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection, then the speeds on the network should be maintained.

Otherwise, since it has an ethernet port, my instinct is

I do?

You would set up the TP-Link was a Wireless Access Point (WAP). That means that it will create a wireless network that uses the exact same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password as the AirPort Extreme network. In addition, the TP-Link must be set up in Bridge Mode to work correctly with the AirPort Extreme.

This is not quite as simple as I'd hoped

If you had another AirPort Extreme, or any other AirPort router, the set up "wizard" in AirPort Utility would have set things up correctly in about 60 seconds. All that you really need to do is assign a device name to the new AirPort. The "wizard" takes care of everything else automatically.

I haven't found definitive instructions via TP Support.

Not sure that we will be able to provide much help with a TP Link product on a support forum for Apple products. Look for information about how to set up the TP Link device as a Wireless Access Point (WAP). Probably best to get with TP Link Support.

A quick 30 second search produced this article on how to configure the TP Link as a Wireless Access Point. Might be worth a try.

How to Configure TP-Link N router as a wireless Access Point? | TP-Link

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2018 5:30 PM in response to MIKEinMICH

to bother with it

If the TP-Link will wirelessly extend the signal, then it is typical for extenders to reduce the maximum potential speed on the network by half or more.

If the TP-Link device will connect back to the AirPort Extreme using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection, then the speeds on the network should be maintained.

Otherwise, since it has an ethernet port, my instinct is

I do?

You would set up the TP-Link was a Wireless Access Point (WAP). That means that it will create a wireless network that uses the exact same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password as the AirPort Extreme network. In addition, the TP-Link must be set up in Bridge Mode to work correctly with the AirPort Extreme.

This is not quite as simple as I'd hoped

If you had another AirPort Extreme, or any other AirPort router, the set up "wizard" in AirPort Utility would have set things up correctly in about 60 seconds. All that you really need to do is assign a device name to the new AirPort. The "wizard" takes care of everything else automatically.

I haven't found definitive instructions via TP Support.

Not sure that we will be able to provide much help with a TP Link product on a support forum for Apple products. Look for information about how to set up the TP Link device as a Wireless Access Point (WAP). Probably best to get with TP Link Support.

A quick 30 second search produced this article on how to configure the TP Link as a Wireless Access Point. Might be worth a try.

How to Configure TP-Link N router as a wireless Access Point? | TP-Link

Dec 9, 2018 6:12 PM in response to MIKEinMICH

Perform a Hard Reset or Factory Default Reset on the 3rd Gen AirPort again. I am assuming that the firmware on the 3rd Gen is up to date or a recent version is already installed.....and.....that you have already tested the Ethernet cable to make sure that it is working correctly.

Connect the Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the main AirPort router to the WAN "O" port on the 3rd Gen AirPort. You must perform this step before you try to set up the 3rd Gen AirPort.

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen, then look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Just under that listing, click directly on AirPort Extreme

When you click on AirPort Extreme, that will start up the setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and display a screen that looks like this, except that you will see your devices and network pictured

Type in a name that you want to call the 3rd Gen AirPort

Click Next

Watch the next screen very carefully to confirm that the 3rd Gen AirPort is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This will verify that the setup wizard has picked up the wired Ethernet cable connection between the AirPorts and that the correct settings for the 3rd Gen AirPort will automatically be applied

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done and you are done.

If you are curious, you can now use AirPort Utility to go in and look at the Wireless settings that the setup wizard has applied to the 3rd Gen AirPort. You may be surprised when you see how the AirPort has actually been configured.

Dec 4, 2018 6:28 PM in response to MIKEinMICH

the exact model number of the TP-Link is a big help.

Googling the description I came up with a RE450.

In the howto stuff.. I found a note on how to setup the RE450 as a Wireless Access Point. (WAP)

How to configure the range extender as an access point (new logo)? | TP-Link Australia

This is the mode you want.

The manual for this box is USELESS.. It is designed primarily as WPS repeater.

Once you set it to WAP mode.. you need to use the identical wireless names and security password as you have used on your airport.. to create a roaming network..

Or you can stick to using two separate wireless names.. but they are actually identical networks.. and the airport will still control everything.

Ask if you need more. Or you have a different box.

Bob.. beat.. me.. AGAIN.

Dec 4, 2018 6:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi and thanks! I do have an older Extreme which is what I replaced with this one.

I actually did try this with that unit. I should have taken notes but as I recall

for whatever reason it seemed after setup the wireless reception was degraded

or glitchy when tested. Maybe I didn't prepare the older device properly - In

retrospect, i don't think i wiped it from its prior usage settings before trying to

use it for this function. Meantime I had a deal come up on of these and thought

I'd try the TP as it was presented as mac-friendly. Thanks for the article link.

Dec 4, 2018 7:00 PM in response to MIKEinMICH

I actually did try this with that unit. I should have taken notes but as I recall

for whatever reason it seemed after setup the wireless reception was degraded

or glitchy when tested.

If the AirPort was connected using Ethernet, and the reception was "degraded", then the AirPort was defective, or it was not configured correctly.

Using the AirPort Utility setup "wizard", you must start with the AirPort in a factory default condition. You cannot simply "change settings" from a previous setup.

If you still have the other AirPort and have a few minutes to set it up, post back for more details.

Dec 9, 2018 4:53 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your replies on this. I'm just now getting around to working on this again.

I wanted to first test the idea of ethernet-connecting an older (maybe 3rd gen) Extreme

and using it rather than the TP-Link to extend my wifi network. For starters though,

follow Apple instructions to reset the unit to factory default condition, I am not seeing

the device in the Airport Utility Other Wi-Fi Devices menu. Just "no new wifi devices

discovered." grayed out. I am not ethernet connected to this device when doing this.

Just have it in the next room with nothing but power connected. Amber light is slow

flashing. Any ideas? Thanks!

Setup of TP-link extender with Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.