Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Ipad cpu damage, can we recover data

I am currently using an ipad 7th generation. Just few days ago it got shut off when I was using it (it had charge) and I tried to switch it back on multiple times but failed. So I sent it to a nearby repair shop who said they need to change cpu, which was damaged. But they did not mention I would lose all data, and now its too late to undo the repair. Is there any way I can recover all my data? I have some data in icloud, but majority of the data was not synced. Can anyone help?

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 1:06 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 15, 2024 1:32 PM in response to Asanjay

If your iPad is set to backup automatically to iCloud (should be unless you manually turned it off) or you manually back it up to a computer, you should be able to recover your data by restoring the backup to the iPad during initial setup.

If you have no backup, then there's no way to recover any data.

click here ➜ Restore your device from a backup - Apple Support

May 1, 2024 11:02 AM in response to Asanjay

You will need to restore the iPad to factory settings, before you can restore a backup onto it.

click here ➜ Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Then follow the steps in the support document I linked to in my previous reply.

Here it is again. click here ➜ Restore your device from a backup - Apple Support

Also, outside of the backup, any data synced to iCloud should be synced down to the iPad once its setup and you enable iCloud an its features during setup.

May 1, 2024 10:56 AM in response to Phil0124

I was aware of backups and all but i have never expected to lose all data just like that. It is my first time facing this kind of situation, so its a hard-hit lesson. Luckily, I remembered that just a few months ago I wanted to update the latest OS but I had no space so I connected with my laptop and from what i remember it must have stored the ipad data somewhere.

When i reset my ipad, i couldnt restore all data(the repair people gave the ipad after setting it up themselves)and not realising that i logged in with my icloud account. Now my assumption is the new data has overriden the old icloud data and I am unable to get back my old data. I have already tried connecting my ipad with itunes in the same laptop i used for the update months earlier, but the 'Restore Backup' icon is greyed out.

Could u please guide me? This kind of situation is first time ive faced and it is frustrating. I would be really glad if it works out. Thanks in advance :)

May 1, 2024 11:00 AM in response to sberman

Yes long ago when i got this ipad I just let the icloud do its job and enabled all icloud related settings. It was in between I switched off some settings because I was running out of space. I was not aware that you could back up data in your laptop. It is too late now, but I would still be glad if some data can be recovered...

May 1, 2024 11:53 AM in response to Phil0124

I have followed your steps, thank you so much for your prompt reply. But when i come to the backups recover page, I only find the recently auto backed-up data which is not my original files. I think icloud did replace the original files and kept some random files in place of it. Is there anyway I can access the old backup?

Ipad cpu damage, can we recover data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.