Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 stuck at "getting ready"

I see this same question was posted before and the answer that solved it was someone suggesting the use of the retail Windows 10 image.... which I have tried myself, but it's still stuck at "getting ready".

I got the official Windows 10 image direct from Microsoft's website using their 'Media Creation Tool'. I put the bootcamp files on 1 flash drive(set aside). The first time I tried using Bootcamp, I split the SSD partition and attempted to install Windows 10. It initially seemed to go fine, until it rebooted and continued the setup(where it got stuck).

I then went as far as booting from the Windows 10 flash drive, completely deleting all partitions on the SSD and trying over again. It's still getting stuck at "getting ready". The only other thing to point out is I have used a USB 3.0 flash drive. Currently using the Media Creation Tool again on an old 2.0 flash drive.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2018 9:12 AM

I ended up getting a good deal on a bigger SSD for the 2014 Mac & installed it. I tried installing Windows again, this time it went through just fine(from a USB drive I created on a Windows PC using Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool". After Windows finished installing, I just downloaded the Bootcamp drivers from Apple. Everything's working fine now.

I left High Sierra installed on the original SSD & put away in an anti-static bag(will just swap drives if I ever need to use OSX). Really weird though... Apple hardware diagnostics did not show any issues with the original SSD. Yet for some reason, Windows would not install on that one... but it's working fine on this replacement SSD.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2018 9:12 AM in response to ntvinh

I ended up getting a good deal on a bigger SSD for the 2014 Mac & installed it. I tried installing Windows again, this time it went through just fine(from a USB drive I created on a Windows PC using Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool". After Windows finished installing, I just downloaded the Bootcamp drivers from Apple. Everything's working fine now.

I left High Sierra installed on the original SSD & put away in an anti-static bag(will just swap drives if I ever need to use OSX). Really weird though... Apple hardware diagnostics did not show any issues with the original SSD. Yet for some reason, Windows would not install on that one... but it's working fine on this replacement SSD.

Apr 8, 2018 1:21 PM in response to josephd77

What is the year/model of Mac (do not post the serial number)?

A USB3 drive is not supported. You will need to use a USB2 Flash drive. USB HDDs should not be used.

Depending on year/model, BCA will combine the source ISO and BC drivers one a USB2 Flash drive which is formatted as MBR/FAT. Other formats will cause failure. You cannot use two separate USB flash drives, otherwise you will get errors.

Apr 8, 2018 3:59 PM in response to Loner T

I've now used both a USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 flash drive. The 'Media Creation Tool'(which is automated) from Microsoft creates a bootable Windows 10 drive using MBR/FAT32. I've been trying this on a 2017 Macbook Pro 15" (i7 2.8, 16gb, 256gb ssd). I'm using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to connect the flash drive(s) to.

I also have a 2014 Macbook Pro 13"(i5 2.6, 8gb, 256gb ssd) that I'm currently trying it on with the USB 2.0 drive I created, but it's also getting stuck at the "getting ready" message.

Apr 8, 2018 5:50 PM in response to josephd77

josephd77 wrote:

I've now used both a USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 flash drive. The 'Media Creation Tool'(which is automated) from Microsoft creates a bootable Windows 10 drive using MBR/FAT32. I've been trying this on a 2017 Macbook Pro 15" (i7 2.8, 16gb, 256gb ssd). I'm using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to connect the flash drive(s) to.

On 2017 model, no external storage must be connected during Windows installation. The ISO should be directly downloaded from Microsoft's Software Download and should not be in the Downloads folder. Disconnect the USB-c adapter, because it is problematic, till BC drivers are installed.

josephd77 wrote:

I also have a 2014 Macbook Pro 13"(i5 2.6, 8gb, 256gb ssd) that I'm currently trying it on with the USB 2.0 drive I created, but it's also getting stuck at the "getting ready" message.

On a 2014 model, a USB2 Flash drive is used to create an installer from a Windows ISO. The rules for ISO storage are the same. W10 1709 (Fall Creators) has known issues with 2014 models. You should try W10 1607 (Anniversary Update) available from http://windowsiso.net/ (the ISO MD5sum is the same as what was offered by Microsoft in the past). It is unfortunate that M$ decided to force 1709 on devices, where it causes problems. I have checked English, English International, German, Spanish and Dutch editions for MD5sum and have no reason to suspect the site.

Apr 9, 2018 10:08 AM in response to Loner T

I downloaded the 1607 ISO and had Bootcamp re-create the USB 2.0 drive on my 2014 Macbook Pro. This time, it gets passed the "getting ready" part & then the screen goes blank. I left it alone for an hour & when I came back, the screen was still blank. I rebooted the Mac and it displayed the loading icon, then the screen went blank again. I tried re-installing again, but it's still doing the same thing. Not sure what to try at this point.

Apr 10, 2018 10:01 AM in response to Loner T

I tried resetting the SMC & NVRAM. I then proceeded to re-install again from the USB 2.0 image Bootcamp made(still did not work). I then tried re-doing the USB image on one of my Windows PC's(still did not work).

So after work tonight I'm going to try something different. Awhile back, I "tested" taking the hard drive out of a Lenovo laptop w/ a fresh install of Windows 10 and installed the drive into an old Macbook Pro 2012... it booted right up to Windows 10 and worked just fine.

I have an SSD to USB3 adapter from OWC, so going to take out the SSD from the 2014 Macbook Pro and attempt to "clone" a fresh install of Windows 10 one of my desktop PC's and see what happens.

I'll let you guys know either tonight or tomorrow if it was successful or not. 😮

Apr 10, 2018 6:11 PM in response to Loner T

It's Option. and yes, I was able to boot to macOS before I wiped the partition completely. I have also ran a diagnostic and no hardware issues were found. After I completely wiped the SSD the 1st time, I did attempt to use Internet Recovery and re-load OSX(worked just fine).

I'm currently at home and have the SSD connected to one of my Windows PC's and am attempting a clone.

Windows 10 stuck at "getting ready"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.