Skip navigation

My Ipad is dead.

54978 Views 57 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 6:09 AM by Jerry729 RSS
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
ronimous Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
May 25, 2010 2:40 PM
Completely black, no power, no charge, computer doesn't recognize it. Had it on the charger overnight and still nothing. Been snug in it's case since I've had it, never dropped or exposed to liquids other than cleaning. Tried the holding the home button and power button trick, nothing.

Bought at Best Buy. Any ideas?
Ipad wifi
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (122,145 points)
    May 25, 2010 2:56 PM (in response to ronimous)
    The iPad includes a one year warranty. Call AppleCare or make an appointment at an Apple store if there is one nearby.
     MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core 2 Duo/2.53GHz/4GB RAM/500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.3),  iPod w/Video 30GB,  iPhone 3G 16GB
  • yukialbany Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)
    May 25, 2010 3:34 PM (in response to ronimous)
    Take it back to BestBuy. They have an APPLESTORE within and will easily give you a new one. You don't have to go to a real APPLESTORE. I plan on getting my wifi iPad at BestBuy as soon as they get them in.
    Intel-based iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • Akif Calculating status...
    May 25, 2010 6:45 PM (in response to ronimous)
    take it back to the islan- apple store.
    Custom, Windows 7, Intel Q6600, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia 9800GTX+
  • Michael Superczynski Level 5 Level 5 (7,095 points)
    May 26, 2010 12:41 AM (in response to ronimous)
    Make sure you have held down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Did you keep the buttons depressed for at least 10 seconds?
    MacBook Air SSD (all-time favorite Mac), Mac OS X (10.6.3)
  • Argon0 Calculating status...
    May 29, 2010 1:09 PM (in response to Michael Superczynski)
    Thanks for that, had same problem, tried everything else, but that worked.
    ipad 16gb wifi
  • MertonFrog Calculating status...
    May 30, 2010 8:04 AM (in response to Argon0)
    Great, thanks! Helped bringing my iPad back to life as well! What the heck was that though?
    Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iPad wifi 64 MB
  • pbnyc4 Calculating status...
    Jun 25, 2010 5:24 AM (in response to MertonFrog)
    Worked for me too but had to hold down power and home buttons for 15 seconds.
    Dell
  • stevewads Calculating status...
    Jul 5, 2010 6:31 PM (in response to pbnyc4)
    Same problem for me. Had to hold down both buttons for about 15 seconds (almost gave up at 10) and it worked. Thanks!
  • MBarnesgv Calculating status...
    Jul 6, 2010 11:48 AM (in response to ronimous)
    Power/Home buttons for about 15 seconds worked for me too! Turned my frown upside down. Thanks!
    ipad
  • DrTechDaddy Calculating status...
    Aug 7, 2010 5:01 AM (in response to ronimous)
    I had a similar problem. It had been charging all night. At first, the screen wouldn't rotate regardless of the setting of the screen lock switch. I turned it off, then it wouldn't come on--just went dead. I left it off for a while, then when I turned it on and pressed the sleep button, it came back to life--didn't have to hold for 10 sec.
    iPad
  • macguy90 Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Aug 7, 2010 7:19 AM (in response to ronimous)
    Just take it back to the Apple Store. They will replace it at no charge, as long as there is no obvious user-induced damage.
    MacBook Pro 15-inch, iPhone 4 16GB, iPad 16GB WiFi, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB hard drive, nVidea graphics
  • actan Calculating status...
    Aug 22, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to ronimous)
    I bought my Ipad two days ago and it worked fine until I decided to turn in off using the sleep/wake button. The battery was around 80%. Next day I found it dead. Tried holding the wake/sleep button for > 15 seconds..didn't work..tried holding both home & sleep/wake button..didn't worked either. Tried charging it a few hours and repeated the same step again..didn't work either. Tried connecting it to Itunes on another PC to restore it..failed..I decided one more try of holding the wake/sleep and home button again for the last time before sending it to service center tomorrow..and it worked!!
    Ipad
  • KarlD Calculating status...
    Aug 22, 2010 7:50 PM (in response to ronimous)
    I had to take my iPad back after 1 week it also wouldn't hold a charge. They replaced it after checking it and found the battery to be defective. Apple was able to give me a new 32GB Wi-Wi unit the same day.
    IPad
  • Bryan.C Calculating status...
    Aug 25, 2010 8:20 AM (in response to KarlD)
    I just had this happen today on my 64gb 3g model and holding the home and sleep/wake work for me. We all know that trick but a previous poster mention it took alittle longer than he expected. I also just held them alittle longer than I had and it worked, THANKS
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.