Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No backlit keyboard in Win10 BootCamp on MacBook Pro

I have seen posts on this, but I so far have been unable to solve this issue:

The backlit keyboard on my MacBook Pro works perfectly in iOS, but does nothing (i.e. zero lighting) in BootCamp running Win10.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

iOS: Mojave 10.14 (18A391)

BootCamp: Windows 10

Things checked:

• I have updated all drivers in both iOS and Windows.
  • I have updated all software available to me via the "Apple Software" updater in Windows
  • I see no "unknown" or "disabled" devices in the Win Device Manager
  • The backlighting works perfectly in iOS
  • The backlighting does nothing in Windows (the backlighting intensity buttons are visible on the Touch Bar in Win10, but have no effect)

Anyone have any other ideas?

I have seen posts suggesting reseting the SMC, but honestly this seems silly because the backlights work perfectly in iOS, so seems not to be a SMC issue.

Other posts suggest updating drivers... but what and how? I have installed all updates offered to me.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 7, 2018 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 2:53 PM

If you 'Reset your PC', then BC drivers are also removed. One option you have is to re-install BC drivers. See If some Mac features don't work when running Windows in Boot Camp - Apple Support as reference.

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 11, 2018 5:07 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T - You are a genius! :-)

I did in fact have to "Recover" Windows in this MacBook Pro in BootCamp a while ago (due to an amazingly annoying issue with a Windows Fall Creators Update last year). I was unaware (though it now makes sense) that in the process, the core Apple BC drivers were removed.

The procedure you posted above worked perfectly!!! :-)

My backlit keys are now functioning properly in BootCamp! And who knows what else will be happier now!

Thanks for the patient and persistent help! :-)

Dec 9, 2018 11:19 AM in response to Loner T

Excellent question re: BootCamp Control Panel.

Simple answer is.... there *is no* BootCamp control panel in this install! That itself might be a clue as to the underlying cause. I know what it looks like, and I recall seeing it in the task bar area before, but not now. Odd.

I'm not sure why it is gone nor how to bring it back. I have loaded/installed all of the Apple software updates, and I have updated everything available to me in Windows (to Highwayghost: yes, my Win10 is fully updated; I just rechecked for any remaining updates, and there are none pending).

Any clue how to dig out that control panel and get it back in its rightful place (short of a complete re-install of bootcamp)? I suspect if that happens, this problem goes away.

Dec 9, 2018 1:32 PM in response to Loner T

Another excellent suggestion and this line of questioning is definitely uncovering a real problem:

AppleControlPanel.exe is *not* a hit in Windows Explorer. As far as I can tell, this exe is nowhere in my Win10 system.

The only "near hit" I get is the Apple Software Update program.

So... how is it possible that a BootCamp install all of a sudden doesn't have a core control panel like this? Pretty odd.

I installed Win10 on this machine myself via the normal Apple BootCamp process when I bought the MacBook Pro ~18 months ago. And I certainly did not (knowingly) delete any fundamental software elements like this one.

Any idea if this control panel can be downloaded and installed independently? Or is this a fundamental BootCamp install issue I am looking at?

No backlit keyboard in Win10 BootCamp on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.