Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some Annoying Safari 12.0.1 issues on 2018 Mac Mini

A) I cant drag and drop pictures from websites to my desktop anymore

B) When I right click to save picture as, it takes 15-45 seconds for Safari to give me the prompt to download (Spinning Pinwheel) , then it disappears and I have to do it again for another 15-45 seconds, then maybe a 3rd time before it acts like normal and is instantaneous ONCE when I right click. Then if I try it again, its back to the 15-45 seconds thing 2-3x.

C) Safari keeps randomly changing my preferred download spot from "Desktop" to "Downloads" folder with no reasoning. I thought it was when I cleared history or ran Clean My Mac, but its not. It just did it randomly again this morning.

D) When downloading files/art etc, sometimes a prompt comes up asking me where I want to download, even though Ive designated my desktop as the preferred location in "General" in Safari preferences

So thats it for now. I know there are a few more but I just cant think of them currently.

Anyone else having any of these problems? ALL of these problems?

I have not removed/rebuilt the .plist as of yet, only because I cant find any current instructions as to how or if it is the same as it used to be.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 7:55 PM

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2018 7:55 PM in response to Dovii

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Some Annoying Safari 12.0.1 issues on 2018 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.