Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers won't open; requires update. No update available. File created on version installed.

I created a file using Numbers currently on my Macbook Pro (early 2011).

OS X v. 10.11.6

Numbers v 3.6.2 (2577)

The file is stored in my iCloud folder and will no longer open on my Mac saying it requires the updated version. When I go to the app store using the link it provides, it has a button to update that does nothing. When I go to the Updates tab, no update available. I also have not updated or changed anything on my Mac since the last time I used the file.

Please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 5:31 PM

Numbers 5 as well as Pages 7 & Keynote 8, the only versions available in the Mac App Store, require High Sierra, macOS 13.6 or Mojave, macOS 14.x. You need to update the OS before you can update the apps. 

If you can't update the OS, you could open the files in iWork for iCloud.

3 replies

Dec 12, 2018 8:26 PM in response to kissmyash222

From what I've read saving files to iCloud updates them to the latest version. I don't use iCloud drive so I can't check. Don't save files to iCloud drive & you shouldn't have problems.

But you seem to have dismissed my second paragraph. You can still open the files in iWork for iCloud & then download or share a copy. Do not choose Pages as the file type. The best option is to choose Word as the file type which you can then open with your version of Pages or TextEdit or LibreOffice or Word or a multitude of other word processors.

Dec 12, 2018 5:44 PM in response to Peggy

Thanks for your reply. My Macbook Pro (early 2009), not early 2011 (Sorry!), will not allow OS update any further. So my complaint/issue is that since I cannot update my OS, I cannot update Numbers which means all my current files will not open.

I could open the file last week without issue. I can find no reason why it should have stopped working. I'm afraid any new documents I create will do the same thing.

Numbers won't open; requires update. No update available. File created on version installed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.