Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay2 and Airport Express on iPhone XR and iPad Pro

I have a 1st gen iPad Pro with current iOS 12.1.1. I also have an iPhone XR with current iOS 12.1.1. I have 2 1st gen Airport Express devices that do not appear in Control Center on the phone (they need firmware ver 7.8 but too old to upgrade), BUT these Airport Express devices DO APPEAR on the iPad Control Center and do work (just confirmed).

Can anyone explain why they appear on my iPad but not my iPhone? I didn't expect to see them on my iPad, but there they are. I'm glad. I really really want to see them on my iPhone.

Confused in Cathedral City

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 10:49 PM

Hi LaPastenague,

Boy do I feel stupid! I read your suggestion to reboot the phone, did so, and voila! There were my Airport Express devices waiting for me in Control Center. I feel stupid because I tell everyone who’s experiencing unusual behavior on their iDevices to reboot, that this action can oftentimes fix the issue. But do I follow my own advice? Apparently not. So I'm thankful you mentioned it. I was very upset that my new phone wouldn't access my AE speakers; now I'm content. At least until the next snafu comes along. 😊

Thanks again!

Content in Cathedral City

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2018 10:49 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Boy do I feel stupid! I read your suggestion to reboot the phone, did so, and voila! There were my Airport Express devices waiting for me in Control Center. I feel stupid because I tell everyone who’s experiencing unusual behavior on their iDevices to reboot, that this action can oftentimes fix the issue. But do I follow my own advice? Apparently not. So I'm thankful you mentioned it. I was very upset that my new phone wouldn't access my AE speakers; now I'm content. At least until the next snafu comes along. 😊

Thanks again!

Content in Cathedral City

Dec 12, 2018 9:04 PM in response to SidGP

Since it is on your iPad and not on the phone.. the issue is not the Express.. about which we are far better experts.. than iPhones with latest iOS.. I think you need to move the question to iphone or iOS threads.

My one suggestion from many posts here.. is to ensure your phone is joining the same wireless network and band as the iPad.

The Gen1 Express (if you are running them as extenders for example) will only be using 2.4ghz.. check the ipad and if the iphone is connected to a different router to iPad or different AP or different band.. try joining it to exactly the same band.. and directly to the Express if that is at all possible.

Finding things after a fresh reboot also helps loads.. I would say a whole network restart.. (ie network 101).. do it in correct order.. modem.. wait 2min.. main router.. (if different to modem).. wait 2min.. Express.. wait 2min.. then test both iphone and ipad.

Load airport utility on the iphone and make sure you can actually find and access the Express on the network.

From there.. the list of problems is as long as your arm.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/apple/airplay-problems-3521826/

But clearly airplay is problem on every new iteration of iOS.

Airplay2 and Airport Express on iPhone XR and iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.