Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages doc downloaded from Google Drive wont open

I created a pages doc in my Mac, uploaded to Gdrive and now when I download cant open it. Any ideas please?

Thanks

Macbook (2015 or later)

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2018 5:25 AM

Neither Google, nor Dropbox claim compatibility with Pages, Numbers, or Keynote documents.

In past experience, because I was testing, I uploaded a Pages document to Google Drive, and double-clicked it to see what would happen. Because Pages documents by default, are zip/compressed containers that have been renamed to .pages — Google Drive thinks you want to unzip them, and invokes default unzipping software to do that. Now you have junk. Google Drive won't do this with Word, Excel, or Powerpoint documents (docx, xlsx, pptx) because it has been programmed to recognize them.

So, at this point, you probably have a permanently damaged Pages document. The lesson being that they are incompatible with Google Drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2018 5:25 AM in response to LauraMoral

Neither Google, nor Dropbox claim compatibility with Pages, Numbers, or Keynote documents.

In past experience, because I was testing, I uploaded a Pages document to Google Drive, and double-clicked it to see what would happen. Because Pages documents by default, are zip/compressed containers that have been renamed to .pages — Google Drive thinks you want to unzip them, and invokes default unzipping software to do that. Now you have junk. Google Drive won't do this with Word, Excel, or Powerpoint documents (docx, xlsx, pptx) because it has been programmed to recognize them.

So, at this point, you probably have a permanently damaged Pages document. The lesson being that they are incompatible with Google Drive.

Pages doc downloaded from Google Drive wont open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.