Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking iMac display to New Mac Book Pro

Hello, I'm having trouble linking my new MacBook Pro(2018) to my iMac (2012) display, using a thunderbolt 3 to 2 into the back of the iMac. It worked on my old Mac book pro (2012) to same iMac but with only thunderbolt cable but nothing happens when linked the new Mac book pro.

Please help I really need to get this to work. I have tried restarting starting one over the other etc. But nothing

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 17, 2018 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 4:03 PM

Thank you, I discovered you have to be on the same operating system for it to work correctly with a 2010 iMac (can't update any more) and 2018 laptop (is on the latest). So then tried the 2015 iMac but it doesn't work with that model because of the 5k. So gave up and went and brought a monitor and connected using usb-c and hdmi and now working but have a few iMacs that I'm not sure what to do with now.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2018 4:03 PM in response to raina_b22

Thank you, I discovered you have to be on the same operating system for it to work correctly with a 2010 iMac (can't update any more) and 2018 laptop (is on the latest). So then tried the 2015 iMac but it doesn't work with that model because of the 5k. So gave up and went and brought a monitor and connected using usb-c and hdmi and now working but have a few iMacs that I'm not sure what to do with now.

Dec 19, 2018 3:59 PM in response to Can-You-Help-Me

Hi Can-You-Help-Me,

It sounds like you're trying to use your iMac in Target Display Mode with your MacBook Pro. I know Target Display Mode is a great way to connect your devices, and I want to help.

You should be following the steps here to connect your iMac to your MacBook Pro:

Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support

What happens when you have your iMac connected and press Command-F2?

Tell me about what happens and I'll try to help.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Linking iMac display to New Mac Book Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.