Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch response dead zone on iPad Pro 12.9.

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro that's a little over two years old. As a musician, I use it constantly with forScore to display my sheet music, and it's been fantastic! But I've been noticing some annoying missed page turns in the forScore, and other missed "taps" in other apps in the same area of the screen. So I decided to do a scribble test in a drawing app, and lo and behold there appears to be a "dead zone" to touch response that is a strip about 1/4" wide spanning the screen, starting 3/4" away from the home button. See the attached image. I didn't purchase the extended AppleCare protection plan, as I take excellent care of all my iOS devices, have never dropped this iPad, and have never had problems with any of my iOS devices in the past. I may reconsider that decision with my next purchase. Has anyone ever experienced this, and found a solution? I expect it will be a hardware issue, and probably an expensive repair, so I thought I'd reach out to this community first, just in case any of you have suggestions that might save some money.

As an aside, the home button has also been "sticking" so that it audibly clicks when pressed, and I need to press it firmly to activate it. It's almost as though something sticky were spilled on it, though I've never spilled anything on the iPad. It still works, including the touch ID, despite this "sticking" issue. I wonder if it could be related to the touch response problem?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 8:24 AM

To me, this looks like a fairly large dead touch area.

Do not think it is related to your Home button issue.

With no AppleCare, a fix or replacement iPad is going to be fairly expensive.

If you can’t pay or are unwilling to pay for an expensive, out of warranty, fix or iPad replacement, this is something you are going to have to live with, now.

Sorry.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2018 8:24 AM in response to Dan Ringuette

To me, this looks like a fairly large dead touch area.

Do not think it is related to your Home button issue.

With no AppleCare, a fix or replacement iPad is going to be fairly expensive.

If you can’t pay or are unwilling to pay for an expensive, out of warranty, fix or iPad replacement, this is something you are going to have to live with, now.

Sorry.

Touch response dead zone on iPad Pro 12.9.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.