Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Genius results can’t be updated because the iTunes Store doesn’t recognize your iTunes library.

I get the error message-> Genius results can’t be updated because the iTunes Store doesn’t recognize your iTunes library. The directions are to "Please choose File > Library > Turn Off Genius to turn off Genius, then turn it back on." There are no toggling options under iTunes>File>Library. Suggestions?

Posted on Dec 22, 2018 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2018 8:10 AM

Hi: I call Apple Support about this and got the fix:

1. Load iTunes and Sign out of your iTunes Account
  2. Quit iTunes
  3. Find your iTunes folder (usually found in the Music folder) and move the file “iTunes Library Genius.itdb” to the desktop.
  4. Re-load iTunes and sign back into your account.
  5. Go to iTunes “Preferences” and check (turn on) iCloud Music Library (it is turned off somehow during the above 3 steps)
  6. If all is well, move the “iTunes Library Genius.itdb” file to the trash

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2018 8:10 AM in response to sberman

Hi: I call Apple Support about this and got the fix:

1. Load iTunes and Sign out of your iTunes Account
  2. Quit iTunes
  3. Find your iTunes folder (usually found in the Music folder) and move the file “iTunes Library Genius.itdb” to the desktop.
  4. Re-load iTunes and sign back into your account.
  5. Go to iTunes “Preferences” and check (turn on) iCloud Music Library (it is turned off somehow during the above 3 steps)
  6. If all is well, move the “iTunes Library Genius.itdb” file to the trash

Dec 22, 2018 3:30 PM in response to Don-M

Well, it's not clear what "the problem" actually means. It might mean:

• Turn off Genius
  • Update Genius results
  • Recognize the iTunes Library

I'll address one of the possible meanings.

To recognize the iTunes Library, press the "Option" key while opening iTunes on the Mac, and be certain the library is being located correctly.

Dec 22, 2018 5:54 PM in response to sberman

Hi: Thanks for trying to help: I cannot see how to turn off Genius without first turning off iTune match, which would mean re-uploading my library of ~20,000 songs. Updating Genius results in the same error message that started this issue, I.e. when I tryed to "update iClould music library". I tryed the "re-reconizing of my iTunes library" as you recommeneded, and still got the same error message when I tryed to update the library. Any other suggestions. Also I have amother computer linked to this one that is having the same problem with its copy of my iTunes library. I am using iTunes 12.9.2.5

Genius results can’t be updated because the iTunes Store doesn’t recognize your iTunes library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.