Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV CEC

The Apple TV is a great, intuitive device. I love that it turns on my receiver and controls volume automatically. My television is older, and is not as receptive, but that is okay. After I put the Apple TV to sleep, though, I have difficulty changing input or going to broadcast stations over antenna. The Apple TV keeps turning on and changing the input back to itself. Is there a way to customize the CEC setting or keep the Apple TV asleep when I change input/go to broadcast?

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 8:00 AM

Is there a way to customize the CEC setting

Unfortunately there is no customization. HDMI-CEC is on or off, and users will have to work with the implementations of the various manufacturers, as they try to work together with technologies of various ages and expectations.

or keep the Apple TV asleep when I change input/go to broadcast?

If the equipment fails to work together harmoniously, then you may prefer to turn HDMI-CEC off on either one of the devices, or both.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2018 8:00 AM in response to William Kirk

Is there a way to customize the CEC setting

Unfortunately there is no customization. HDMI-CEC is on or off, and users will have to work with the implementations of the various manufacturers, as they try to work together with technologies of various ages and expectations.

or keep the Apple TV asleep when I change input/go to broadcast?

If the equipment fails to work together harmoniously, then you may prefer to turn HDMI-CEC off on either one of the devices, or both.

Apple TV CEC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.