Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mp4 to iMovi

I discovered my old video camera is not compatible with my MAC. Spent over 1000AU to digitise professionally the collection of my old videos just to find out that I can not import the resulting mp4 files into iMovi. (Even though I was reassured the mp4 files will work with iMovie). Is there any good converters for MAC to download for free or if I have to buy one, which one will do the good job.

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 10:52 PM

Thank you Rich,

I was trying to open the files by dropping them to app. Now I am importing and it seems to work.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks God there are generous people like you, who can patiently explain things to the beginners like me!

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 27, 2018 10:30 PM in response to Hudoznik

Hi,

Not all Mp4 works in iMovie. iMovie likes Mp4/AAC. The AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding. Check your clips to see what the exact format they are in. Whatever format, even if Mp4/AAC, if they are not working you need to re-encode them.

Use the free download, Handbrake, to convert or re-encode to Mp4/AAC, that Handbrake will do by default. You can get Handbrake at this site:

https://handbrake.fr/

-- Rich

Dec 28, 2018 8:31 AM in response to Hudoznik

Hi,

Click on the app store icon and type in "Video editing" in the search box. You will see several video editing software programs offered. I am not familiar with any of them myself, so unfortunately have no recommendations. However, there would be no certainty that your clips would work in another video editing app. It might be worth the effort to experiment a little more to see if you can get your clips to import into iMovie without having to re-encode them.

What iMovie version are you using, and what operating system version? What steps are you using to import the clips into iMovie? Describe what happens when you try?

Instead of trying to import your clips directly into iMovie, try importing them to your Mac desktop with the Image Capture app located in the applications folder on your Mac. From your desktop you can then drag them into iMovie. Or, you can import them into the Photos app and from there access them in iMovie through the Photos item in the iMovie media sidebar.

-- Rich

mp4 to iMovi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.