Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded music sharing problem

I recently subscribed to Apple Music to allow music homesharing. However, songs that’s downloaded from other sources is apprearing as inactive songs in my Apple TV which cannot be played. I am guessing the reason is that these songs are not available In Apple Music.

Is is there anyway to fix this?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 2:00 AM

I recently subscribed to Apple Music to allow music home sharing.

You define home sharing differently, or you assumed incorrectly. Apple Music is awesome, but it is not strictly needed for what Apple calls Home Sharing. (And that Home Sharing doesn’t use the Music app on Apple TV, but the Computers app instead.)

However, songs that’s downloaded from other sources is apprearing as inactive songs in my Apple TV which cannot be played. I am guessing the reason is that these songs are not available In Apple Music.

If the songs from other sources have been matched/uploaded to Apple to be part of your iCloud Music Library, then they should be available on all devices with your Apple Music subscription.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2018 2:00 AM in response to mohammedshammasi

I recently subscribed to Apple Music to allow music home sharing.

You define home sharing differently, or you assumed incorrectly. Apple Music is awesome, but it is not strictly needed for what Apple calls Home Sharing. (And that Home Sharing doesn’t use the Music app on Apple TV, but the Computers app instead.)

However, songs that’s downloaded from other sources is apprearing as inactive songs in my Apple TV which cannot be played. I am guessing the reason is that these songs are not available In Apple Music.

If the songs from other sources have been matched/uploaded to Apple to be part of your iCloud Music Library, then they should be available on all devices with your Apple Music subscription.

Downloaded music sharing problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.