Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPrint on Brother Printer

I have a Brother DCP-L2550DW printer, which is never switched off and connected to my home WIFI.

My devices, Mac Mini, iPhone X and iPad (2017) are all connected to the same home network as my printer.

However, I realised that AirPrint detection is intermittent. After 1-2 days, there will be "No AirPrint Printers Found" on my iOS devices and maybe 1-2 days later, without me doing anything, my printer can be found again.

On my Mac, the Brother iPrint&Scan will show my printer in "sleep" mode while the Mac Printer & Scanner setting will show my printer to be offline.

I can safely assure that my printer remains connected to my home WIFI throughout as should it be disconnected, the WIFI button lighting would be blinking.

I have contacted the Brother service person who came down to provide support. He printed out some maintenance sheet and told me everything is normal. He told me to contact my router company, Linksys, to ask for help to disable IGMP Snooping.

I then contacted Linksys, who told me that my router, EA8100 has no IGMP Snooping feature. The Brother service person insists there is though after I informed him of my findings from Linksys.

I am kind of perplexed at what exactly is wrong with my AirPrint devices and printer.

I have removed my printer from my Mac and add it again on AirPrint, but it just does not seem to solve the issue. The only way to solve the issue is to power off and on the printer again.

Any kind souls able to assist?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 6:18 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 29, 2018 1:31 AM in response to hcsitas

Hi, thank you for the reply. I have checked, the Auto Off is off.

Moreover, the article also mentioned "The machine doesn't go into Power Off Mode when connected to a network".

Really unsure because on my Mac's iPrint&Scan, it shows Printer to be in "sleep" mode while Mac's printer setting under System Preferences shows it offline lol. Nevermind, maybe I will try waking my printer up next time. In any case, issue is resolved if i 1) reconnect to WIFI again though my printer remains connected, or 2) power off and power on again the printer.

Just don't feel this should be right haha.

Dec 29, 2018 1:40 AM in response to ch33kster

Hmm, I am utilising AirPrint, there should be NO NEED to install any drivers. The same thing that is happening on my Mac happens on my iOS devices as mentioned in my first post.

I have checked for firmware update and have updated to latest firmware.

I have also mentioned I have removed the AirPrint and add it again in my Mac Printer settings.

To assure you further, I have also installed those drivers, but the same thing still happens.

And you are right, perhaps poor connection? Can't expect the WIFI nodule in a printer to be as good as those in phones.

Will try connecting via Ethernet.

AirPrint on Brother Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.